Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #471
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I have officially mastered something in saltwater! The downside is that I've mastered growing algae. Only I could have hair algae, bryopsis, cyano, and grape caulerpa in 3 months time. I'm underfeeding if anything, chaeto is growing like crazy, etc etc. Guess I'm just going to learn to live with it.. I mean, the ocean has algae too, right?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #472
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

hmmm, hopefully one of the resident reef masters will have some ideas for solutions. I hope we don't just have to live with it .

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #473
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey you mastered something at least. Too bad its not all hat beneficial except for your CUC.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #474
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Start with the basics...

Give us the run down of your actual Params..

What is your lighting schedule?
How often are you doing PWCs?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #475
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well..they're 0,0,0, and 8.4. I run my lights for 8 hours. 20g PWC every week or so. Last one was 8 days ago, I just haven't been up to doing one today. I have water mixing, so I'll probably do one tomorrow. I have been rinsing my socks out every 3-4 days though, as they've been clogging up that quickly. I've fed maybe 8 times in the last month, and only what they each eat from the syringe.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #476
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Have you checked for phosphates yet?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #477
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm not surprised that your Nitrates are 0. Do you have a phosphate test kit??

Algae needs nutrients and light to grow. You could be testing and seeing 0 Nitrates simply because the algae is eating it up. You can reduce your photo period but that is going to impact your corals. Bryopsis is one of the most difficult algaes to get rid of.

If I remember correctly there was some evidence of algae growth on your corals when you first got them. My guess is you introduced some nasty stuff with those corals. Once they take hold in a system it take some serious work to get rid of them
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #478
AA Team Emeritus

That's pretty normal for a 3 month tank. Now is when you start learning (sorry). Cut the lighting in half for a week. Feed only 2x/week though you seem to be there already.

What are you feeding?
Are you using any additiives?

Did you start the tank with RODI and use that for all PWC's?

Might be time to increase the CUC too.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #479
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Nope, sure haven't. I probably should, though that would require buying a test kit and I just don't see colors well. I guess I just don't see how it could be a phosphate issue. I'm using RO/DI water, I'm rarely feeding and when I do, I rinse the food in RO/DI water, I'm doing significantly larger water changes than 'the norm' (though I realize that means next to nothing)... and my chaeto is growing well, with very intense lighting that should allow it to suck up any excess nutrients.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #480
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Oops... a couple replies as I was typing.

Zig - The algae that came in on my frag plugs was red, almost looked like a red variety of chaeto. It has since departed, and the plugs are all clean. I think the bryopsis came in on the LR. It has gone away for the most part, except for one piece on the rock with my red millepora that I really need to just yank out.

cmor - No additives. I'm lucky to remember to feed, much less dump a bunch of crap in that I don't have the test kits to test for. With the few corals I have, I'm just *assuming* that the salt mix is giving them everything they need. Probably a bad assumption, but safe > sorry IMO and I'd rather them show signs of deficiencies than to risk causing other problems by blindly dumping in stuff. And yes, filled and only do pwc's with RO/DI

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com