Ok... got my new RO
unit hooked up yesterday. I got a drain saddle and a tee that fits inline on my sink faucet plumbing (so much better than the behind the washing machine setup!) and the unit is hooked up in the closet behind my tank.
I replaced the 100gpd membrane and flow restrictor with a 75gpd membrane and restrictor. I'm still getting twice as much water with this config than I did with my old unit. The pump keeps the pressure right at 100psi. I'm getting 0ppm on the tds
meter at all times, even when flushing and just starting up (something I'd heard doesn't always happen). I still think I'm going to get a separate canister and move my sediment filter over, and run two carbon blocks, as I've heard that prolongs the membrane when on tap with chloramine. No idea if that's true or not, but for $15, why not?
As far as the corals are concerned, I'm still seeing a lot of new growth. My green millepora has grown another inch or so, and has a couple new places about 1/2" coming off of it. It also has encrused about a 1" diameter circle around it, and looks like another one is coming off that. The red millepora is also showing good growth. I've got 4 1/2" new shoots coming off (pardon my lack of proper terminology here) and overall, probably about 2" taller. The zoas are all growing fine, lots of new polyps. One frag has actually grown off the plug and started growing on the rock beside it. The frogspawn looks bigger, though I'm not sure how to judge its growth yet.
The algae has subsided in a big way. The only algae I'm seeing now is remnants of what was there that I missed on the back wall. The caulerpa is growing in the fuge at insane rates, as is the chaeto. I've seen several pod carcasses floating around, and I have witnessed both my goby and cardinal eating them.
All in all, things have really turned around on this tank. I'm pulling a cup and a half of dark brown skimmate every week, and the socks are getting full about once every 2 weeks. I've come to the conclusion that the less I do, the better it is. I haven't done a water change in about 2 weeks, but things are really turning around. I'm going to get on a good schedule with things, and just let everything happen on it's own instead of forcing it.