Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too loud? Probably. Everyone I know says to submerge it. Mine's been quiet since doing that (7 years ago).

Not sure where you plan on raising the pipe. Can you post a diagram or photo of your setup? Maybe we can get Larry or Doug to take a look at that and offer suggestions.

Here's the best picture I have (and I can't find my camera to take a better one).

img_1710738_0_9a80b370749cbe6b20a84720a095e14b.jpg

What I was thinking was putting a 45 right under the 45 that's already there and having the top 1/2" of the pipe above water, and the bottom 1" under. That way it can get some air? I have a standard glass-holes kit, which just has a 90 elbow with a hole in the top and a hose sticking out.

Since I used a rubber connector (just has a clamp on each end with some give in the middle) to make it easy to get on and off, and provide some flexibility that a union wouldn't, it was 'bouncing' up and down. I put some bubble wrap between the pipe and the sump and it stopped that. But, there are millions of tiny microbubbles coming out of it when it's running. I could take a video tomorrow some time if that might help explain it. Being my first sump, I have no idea whether that's normal or not.

I had also considered putting a wye up towards the top, with a piece of PVC coming up higher than the tank to allow more air to get in, which I assume is what's causing the microbubbles.

Where are the micro bubbles? In the sump?
What's the diameter of that PVC? 1-1/2"

All fittings should be tight. I think a union would be better than the flexible rubber. Unions come apart rather quickly with a few spins. There may be bubbles in the sump, but they should not be anywhere else.

The bubbles are just in the sump, they don't make it to the return chamber, but I have to wonder if all those little bubbles popping is what's causing the evap since there was none while I was gone with the sump not running. I was going to use a union, but to keep the tank up against the wall farily close, and provide a little flexibility in the pipe, I chose the rubber connection.

i maybe way off on your noise concern but if you look up herbies ultra silent overflow it may give you some idea on whats up. bulkreefsupply did a quick blurb about it on one of their youtube vids.

The overflow itself isn't all that loud.. I can definitely tollerate it. It's the buzz from the return pump. I re-did my plumbing today, so I should know tomorrow whether I fixed the noise issue more permenantly (and more appealing to the eye).

I picked up 8lbs of bright purple LR pieces this morning. I had said over and over again that I didn't want anything in my tank that I didn't put in there. A few minutes ago, I counted 5 feather dusters, three asterina stars, two brittle stars, and I swear I saw something poke out of a rock. I'm pretty happy, surprisingly. It's neat, and it's not as bad as I thought. There are a few sponges as well. Looking forward to seeing more life! I also re-arranged my rock work to a scape I like better, and epoxied some of the pieces that weren't all that solid. I'll try and get a video tonight or tomorrow. My other two bulbs (aquablue special and purple plus) will be in tomorrow or the next day I think. Then, it's just a matter of finishing the cycle and getting my fish.

I've re-done my original stock list. I want -

2x Black Occelaris Clowns
1x Firefish
1x BiColor Dottyback
3x Kaudern's Cardinal
1x Clown Goby
1x Coral Banded Shrimp
2x Peppermint Shrimp

Obviously, I'll have some hermits, snails, etc... but is there anything wrong with the stock list? I've looked around and can't find any reasons these fish can't be kept together, and I'm not certain, but this doesn't appear to be a huge bioload, but my SW knowledge is very limited and I'm just going off what I've found here and other forums.

mfdrookie516 said:
The overflow itself isn't all that loud.. I can definitely tollerate it. It's the buzz from the return pump. I re-did my plumbing today, so I should know tomorrow whether I fixed the noise issue more permenantly (and more appealing to the eye).

I picked up 8lbs of bright purple LR pieces this morning. I had said over and over again that I didn't want anything in my tank that I didn't put in there. A few minutes ago, I counted 5 feather dusters, three asterina stars, two brittle stars, and I swear I saw something poke out of a rock. I'm pretty happy, surprisingly. It's neat, and it's not as bad as I thought. There are a few sponges as well. Looking forward to seeing more life! I also re-arranged my rock work to a scape I like better, and epoxied some of the pieces that weren't all that solid. I'll try and get a video tonight or tomorrow. My other two bulbs (aquablue special and purple plus) will be in tomorrow or the next day I think. Then, it's just a matter of finishing the cycle and getting my fish.

I've re-done my original stock list. I want -

2x Black Occelaris Clowns
1x Firefish
1x BiColor Dottyback
3x Kaudern's Cardinal
1x Clown Goby
1x Coral Banded Shrimp
2x Peppermint Shrimp

Obviously, I'll have some hermits, snails, etc... but is there anything wrong with the stock list? I've looked around and can't find any reasons these fish can't be kept together, and I'm not certain, but this doesn't appear to be a huge bioload, but my SW knowledge is very limited and I'm just going off what I've found here and other forums.

I think coral banded may kill the other shrimp?

What about the banggai cardinals? Thought you couldnt keep more than one. If that's wrong I know my next fish purchase.

coffeetwitch said:
What about the banggai cardinals? Thought you couldnt keep more than one. If that's wrong I know my next fish purchase.

You can get a pair, make sure LFS person can tell the difference and help pick the pair.

mr_X said:
I've not seen that kind of behavior out of CB's. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not a definite.

I think I've heard of gold or yellow coral banded shrimp being non aggressive so maybe those would be an option?

And rookie. Is that to say that your getting a breeding trio? That would look really nice. Banggais are one of my favorite fish. I also thought dottybacks where meAn.

coffeetwitch said:
And rookie. Is that to say that your getting a breeding trio? That would look really nice. Banggais are one of my favorite fish. I also thought dottybacks where meAn.

Trio will become two once paired from my understanding. Missed 3 in the original post. You can have 3+ of other types of cardinal fish.

I've not seen that kind of behavior out of CB's. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it's not a definite.
That would be in agreement with LA -

Though the Banded Coral Shrimp can be aggressive towards other Banded Coral Shrimp and smaller shrimp of different species, most are peaceful towards fish, corals, and invertebrates within your aquarium.

I take it that they should probably be considered risky though.

Any other thoughts on the stock list? I can knock the number of cardinals down to 1 if needed, LA indicated they were ok in small groups.

Yeah, my wife likes them too. I promised her that every fish in the tank would be agreed on by both of us, and I'm not going to break that promise.... but luckily, every fish I like, she does too!

Here are some pictures of my sump to try and explain what I was saying previously in the thread-

Overflow-
img_1711936_0_70f4202d6a16354a4ba8bc05ce68747c.jpg

Back side-
img_1711936_1_8e7a26c6c2efa3bb7a50435bc530c279.jpg

Under the stand -

img_1711936_2_4413c76397d6ec979a41739c102b56e7.jpg

img_1711936_3_e764212b3b6ba6db59c79e6deaaa8ef9.jpg

The bubbles I mentioned -

img_1711936_4_801428f56039f23fa9c7077a517cf3f8.jpg

And some more of the sump...

Skimmer getting broken in -

img_1711938_0_f835531255bd442a5e47729c2cb8d966.jpg