Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

hahaha ok, im asking out of ignorance not insolence, but will a mesh bag allow coralline to spread but keep all those nasties in?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #62
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well, I have no idea... But I am going to scrape some, mix it in water, turn off the pumps, and spread it out through the tank... see how that works out. Who knows.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #63
AA Team Emeritus

When you get it, you can crush it with a hammer and then scatter the pieces/rubble around the tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #64
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'll have to consider that!

Here's where we stand tonight... Got my skimmer and two bulbs in. I chose to start with two bulbs so I can figure out the color combination I want. I got a blue plus and aquablue special. I really like the color. Not too blue, but not too white. I think I'll probably skip the purple plus and just stick with a 1:1 ratio of each. I'm going to have to build a small 'shelf' out of PVC and egg crate to sit my skimmer up a little bit off the bottom of the sump. It's too deep without doing so, and putting it in my return section isn't an option (just checked.. WAY too many microbubbles. I'm farily confident that I'm going to just go to a glass shop and have some pieces cut and build another sump. It's going to be rough getting this one out, I'll have to take the center section off the stand to squeeze it out. I'll also have to drain the sump and utilize some buckets. I'm going to re-do the return plumbing while I'm at it, because I'm simply not satisfied. I guess I jumped the gun a bit when I set this up... and I can still re-do it, it's just going to be a little more difficult. Lucky for me, I have several buckets and several empty 10g tanks laying around that I can utilize for this. My problem is that I built the sump all wrong. I eyeballed everything and the baffles just aren't spaced out how I want them. I guess that's the joy of learning as you go. So, without any further interruption, here are some pics...

And the skimmer (temporarily where its at)

And, where the overflow comes in

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 12-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #65
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I want to add that I fully plan on measuring before I cut when I re-do the plumbing... I'm sure all the extra joints in the plumbing make it obvious that I just eyeballed it, then fixed it where it was too long or too short. I'm thinking this is going to be a Tuesday project.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #66
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I just, somehow, talked my wife in to letting me get a reefkeeper... I'm asking no questions as to why she didn't push back much. I assume I'll pay for it somehow, but I'm super excited. High tech, here I come.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your wife has something she wants. Either that or she wrecked the car and will hand you the rkl and then tell you. JK. My wife bought me a ro/di out of the blue the other day. I'm still trying to figure out why. Good score though. You will have to give me a review. I can't decide which one I want. How did you settle on the rkl?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #68
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

It looked easier to use than the others, and for $265 with 8 plugins, pH probe, temp probe, and the ability to hook up my ato, it was a no brainer. I'm getting the RKL Level 3 from Aquacave - Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper LITE System LEVEL 3 (PLUS) - AquaCave

Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is a good deal. I will look into it. Thanks. Does it come with the probes?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #70
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Comes with temp and pH... might try the salinity probe later down the road, unless I read bad things about it

Tags
breed, breeder, build, build thread, journal, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com