Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so indecisive. I'm now wondering since I already have 4/6 bulbs, if adding another 2 bulb fixture ($78) would be as good as replacing with a 6 bulb fixture. I'd hae 3 cords to control vs 2, giving me more options for dusk/dawn.

Also, what are opinions on bio-pellets? I found a kit to change out the canister in my GAC/GFO reactor to run biopellets. Seems that everything I have read is either someone saying they wouldn't run a system without them, or someone saying they'd never run a system with them.

im looking to switch over to them when i use up all my gfo on my 40b. and when i get a sump on my 125 fish only i plan on running the pellets.

mfdrookie516 said:
I'm so indecisive. I'm now wondering since I already have 4/6 bulbs, if adding another 2 bulb fixture ($78) would be as good as replacing with a 6 bulb fixture. I'd hae 3 cords to control vs 2, giving me more options for dusk/dawn.

Also, what are opinions on bio-pellets? I found a kit to change out the canister in my GAC/GFO reactor to run biopellets. Seems that everything I have read is either someone saying they wouldn't run a system without them, or someone saying they'd never run a system with them.

I'd add a 2 bulb over the tank instead of buying a new light

Got my camera tonight... played around. Not great, but I'm happy for my first time out with a DSLR.

img_1789435_0_c63b89c23178fa50a5a6ce8bb8725622.jpg

img_1789435_1_7310d097a67727ef9b9b8765efd59f04.jpg

img_1789435_2_c6b9da2a663a544338e04a89aafa04e7.jpg

img_1789435_3_2078cf4347e0dcdfb52d1ad32ba31cb7.jpg

img_1789435_4_8bb03de605d557ca2090205e212e4260.jpg

img_1789435_5_fb0ceb150d0db1e3d466f664b390a642.jpg

img_1789435_6_15ab7d819d2993ab3e81693d8130869f.jpg

I love your new camera quality! I wish I had a camera like that. Which one is it again? Thanks!

Well, I've went back and forth lol. Originally, I was getting the T3i, cancelled that and decided to go with a 60D... then they were out of stock, so I cancelled that and went back with the T3i. The majority of the shots are with a Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, but a few of them (the FTS and one of the mille and monti) are with a Tamron 28-75mm.

Nice pictures. Personally on the lights I think its really about what you feel looks the best. The extra control of another fixture would be nice, but if it makes the top of the tank look cluttered then it might not be worth it. I saw a build over on PT were someone built a wooden hanger to put to equal sized fixtures in creating a curved hanging fixture which looked pretty sweet. Its really all about what you like IMO.

Very nice shots for your first time out. As you get more time you will find that you get much pickier over which shots you will keep and which you will delete. I'm going back over the last 8 years and deleting gb's worth of pics that I no longer deem worthy (I really didn't back then either, but I was too lazy to take a critical eye to them).

Good luck. Now we will want to see more pictures of everything.

Those shots were with a cannon t3i eos rebel? You just use a different lens right? I'll have give mine a try.

I use a rebel XSi and have to turn off the auto focus and manually focus and come up with some great pictures. Now if I could just get the fish to hold still.....LOL!

Very nice shots for your first time out. As you get more time you will find that you get much pickier over which shots you will keep and which you will delete. I'm going back over the last 8 years and deleting gb's worth of pics that I no longer deem worthy (I really didn't back then either, but I was too lazy to take a critical eye to them).

Good luck. Now we will want to see more pictures of everything.

I won't be as embarassed to show them either. I finally got a close up of the supposed hydroids today, I'll be uploading a pic of them in a few. I couldn't see them clearly enough to tell, but this macro lens is phenominal.

Those shots were with a cannon t3i eos rebel? You just use a different lens right? I'll have give mine a try.

Yeah. I used this lens specifically. It's awesome. I have yet to get my tripod, but it'll help big time. For every 1 shot that's worth looking at, there are 20 that aren't because I shake when I take the pics.

I use a rebel XSi and have to turn off the auto focus and manually focus and come up with some great pictures. Now if I could just get the fish to hold still.....LOL!

I thought I was going to have to (manually focus), but with that lens, I didn't. On my wide angle lens, I did... if you decide to get a macro lens, the one I linked above seems awesome. I took some pics of a dollar bill last night (idk if you saw them on my fb or not) and the detail that you don't normally see is amazing!

@Jon,

Dump that out of focus pic. The tripod makes a huge difference. It did for me. When using it turn off auto focus and auto everything. Use the timer or a remote to totally eliminate any shake. The sharpness is incredible.

@Doug. I did take some HD video with my waterproof camera. The first few were just too long. I have that's a little over 4 minutes. I will try for about 2 good minutes this weekend and then post . I really like what I saw, but it needs some editing for the shake and movement (slow focus at times).

Lookin' great! Congrats on the new camera and excellent updates! Your fish and corals look so healthy. :)

mfdrookie516 said:
Which one is out of focus? They all look focused to me.

I think they were talking about the picture with what you think are hydroids. They probably didn't know that.

Back
Top Bottom