Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-24-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finally getting a skimmer - will this one work?

After much reading, most people seem to like the AquaC skimmers, so that's what I'm looking at - unless somebody has a better idea. I'd like one that goes in my wet/dry sump (praying it will fit and I'll have room to get the collection cup out), so I'm looking at the AquaC Urchin. I think I prefer that over a HOB type for aesthetic reasons, although if there's a good reason to have one over the other, I'd like to know. I have a 75 gallon tank.

Here's my question. The Urchin says it is for 20-75 gallons (w/Maxi Jet 1200 pump). The Urchin Pro is for 40-120 gallons (Mag 3 pump). Will the Urchin work for my tank or do I need the Pro? Money is tight and I wouldn't be getting a skimmer at all right now if I weren't so sick of the green algae and hadn't just tested way too high on nitrates (& phosphates are at 1) even after a WC yesterday. I'm hoping the skimmer will do the trick.

Next on the wish list is a ro/di, but I can't afford both right now and it seems like the skimmer is the more immediate need. I know people suggest to err on the side of 'too much', but since it's a $60 difference between the 2 Urchin models and I'm already breaking the bank, I'd like some honest opinions on if the cheaper one would be sufficient. Maybe the quality will make up a little for having just barely enough power?

Also, this model will work in my wet/dry, correct? Does it draw the water from the bottom so I don't have to have my sump too full? I don't like having a bunch of water in there, to avoid an overflow if the power were to shut off. I usually have about 7 1/2" of water in there to keep my return pump covered with some extra in case I forget to top off for a few days.

I do have a question about my nitrate 'spike', but I'll start another topic for that.

Thanks for any help!
Jodi W

Jodi's stats: Tank set up 9/6/2004 - 75 gallon glass - ProClear SlimLine 125 w/d - Rio 2100 - c/c substrate - 200w heater - little chunk of live rock
Caretaker of 2 mated f. percula clownfish & 8 red legged hermit crabs
JodiW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Have you put any thought into changing you substrate? I think you would lower your Nitrates alot by switching. CC is widely know for being a nitrate factory.

As far as the skimmer goes, I only have the AquaC Remora. Its a great skimmer so I think you'll be fine with the Reg. Urchin.

any other questions, just ask!

arminkropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
As far as I know, the urchin works great on a 75 gallon. If I were you i would not skimp on skimmer, its one of the most important pieces of your system.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com