Finally got a skimmer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjvincent

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a prizm skimmer on ebay for 41$ Minor cosmetic challenges to the unit, but nothing that will affect it's functionality. Are there any enhancements that could be done to improve it's skimming ability or any tricks that I need to know about the skimmer?

Modifying the pickup tube so it skims from the surface vs taking from withinthe tank will increase performance. Is this the prizm classic or the prizm pro?

Tip: use needle nose pliers to adjust air intake, and only adjust it a minute fraction of a turn at any time. Turning it more than this will likely result in over-filling the collection cup in less than 10 minutes.

Also: don't expect much from this skimmer. After a few months, I gave up on it, sold it to another AA member for $40 and picked up a CPR bak-pak.

I love mine it pumps brown nasty stuff out all day long. I would like to buy another one for my 29gal if anyone that was unable to figure it out wants to unload theres let me know.

fishfreek said:
Modifying the pickup tube so it skims from the surface vs taking from withinthe tank will increase performance. Is this the prizm classic or the prizm pro?

It is the classic... The strainer was missing from the intake tube so I was thinking of making a surface skimmer for it... I was going to get some pvc pipe, cap it and then cut some slots around the top (for the skimming slots) and then secure it to the uptake tube. Does anyone know if the skimmer upgrade for the prizm is moveable (up and down) for the surface of the water changes?

Yes, the 'deluxe' pre-skimmer attachment (which replaces the simple strainer you're missing) does indeed adjust up and down several inches.
Check out Big Als' online...they sell the Deluxe kit (which has a carbon media holder too) for a really low price, probably cheap enough for you to ditch the DIY idea...not that the idea is bad...but I think it's less than $20 for the deluxe upgrade. (then again, I put a high dollar amount on my personal time)

Received it in the mail, set it up (it is the deluxe version, only it doesn't have a strainer or the media basket (big deal). I want to see if I can find the strainer by itself (don't want to pay $25 for a small piece of plastic). If I have to I will make one out of pvc...

Oh, by the way, it is now producing a dry greenish foam! A good $41.00 spent...

FYI, the 'deluxe' version is identical to the normal one, except it comes with the pre-skimmer and the media basket.
So you just have the plain Prism.

malkore said:
FYI, the 'deluxe' version is identical to the normal one, except it comes with the pre-skimmer and the media basket.
So you just have the plain Prism.

You would be correct technically. I have what would be a plain prizm now. But it was a Deluxe model when it was originally bought. The original owner didn't have the skimmer part or the basket when he sent it to me on ebay. But it was a deluxe model which has a different intake pipe too.

Back
Top Bottom