finally got my 55 gal up!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea thats what i have, i had to recaulk the sump because the other acrylic didnt hold

Do you have ur sump running already?

not yet chico .....i caulked the third baffle just before should be try by tomorrow and i got all the piping done and ready to go so.......tomorrow should be the day i try it out for the first time......i will put pics up as soon as i can I'm excited lol .....i need to go buy some sand seed it with some from my DT and just match the flow and i should be good to go

Here is my 55 gal fully setup going thru the process now.

Attachments

• image-893042695.jpg
    image-893042695.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2306006755.jpg
    image-2306006755.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2040946076.jpg
    image-2040946076.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3536899917.jpg
    image-3536899917.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 90
Awesome Chico looks good .....just finished and overflow is up and running and leak free had a cracked bulkheads ughhhh got it going now sweeeetttt !! Posting pics in an hour or so need to remove my canister filter etc and move around Rock to fuge ....I have the nano skimmer in there made a custom sock holder and putting heater in there also and some Rock

Yea i just have some sand in the sump, need to get a light for down there and then I will add some live rock and then Some grass

Hondachico said:
Yea i just have some sand in the sump, need to get a light for down there and then I will add some live rock and then Some grass

Yup i need a light now too and some grass gonna check my lfs today here's the pics

image-2370530936.jpg

image-1666544332.jpg

image-196086850.jpg

image-523461149.jpg

image-899374230.jpg

Really nice man, that sump looks familiar lol, I jut came from my lfs and my water is perfect with salinity and everything.

Really nice man, that sump looks familiar lol, I jut came from my lfs and my water is perfect with salinity and everything.

loll looks just like yours hmmmm lol thanks a lot for all the help couldn't of done it with out your input and everyone else's.....im going to lfs now haha can't resist they had a dwarf lion for 20 bucks might just get him he's so tiny lol

besides the filter sock do you run any other media for filtration ?

I got some carbon in a media bag inside of the sock and then I'm going to later buy some chemipure and just hang it in the fuge

Hondachico said:
I got some carbon in a media bag inside of the sock and then I'm going to later buy some chemipure and just hang it in the fuge

I'm going to try go all natural you know I heard carbon isn't that good for a reef although I use it once in a while

Carbon is fine for a reef, but if you use stuff that has alot of dust on it it can get into the tank, which is bad. Just remember, when it comes to filter media like carbon, GFO, chemipure, whatever, that the more water you get through it and the slower it goes the better.

What size of a sump is it that you guys are running? I was looking at building one just like that for my 55. Is the water level in the fuge section high? I thought there was supposed to be a slow trickle into the fuge from section 1?

We are running a 10 gal sump at least that's the only space I had for.

Sniperhank said:
Carbon is fine for a reef, but if you use stuff that has alot of dust on it it can get into the tank, which is bad. Just remember, when it comes to filter media like carbon, GFO, chemipure, whatever, that the more water you get through it and the slower it goes the better.

What size of a sump is it that you guys are running? I was looking at building one just like that for my 55. Is the water level in the fuge section high? I thought there was supposed to be a slow trickle into the fuge from section 1?

Water in fuge section is 8inch high with a two inch sand bed for now

How hard was it for you to tune the flow?

oh man lol ...i was playing with it for an hour haha....the overflow is not tuned and only the return is as i got a pump that could handle more than overflow.....but it was just a hassle to get the sump water height proper and make sure it would not overflow with power outage which i tested and its perfect now...but the return i only tweeted the ball valve a bit and its perfect now....i put some filter floss over my pump to stop some micro bubbles that were showing up

Yea my pump is adjustable and I have a ball valve on my overflow, I have bubbles in my tank but it's because of my return is higher than the water to prevent siphoning if the power goes out. And yea it took me like 2 1/2 hours lol

Back
Top Bottom