Finally hosting dying nem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AbsoluteFaye

Aquarium Advice Addict
So strange. Bought a BTA a while back and he got caught in one of my power heads. He healed but had taken up occupancy under a rock with little light and became bleached and looking awful. Took Mr. X's advice ( he's wonderful!) and bought a great led to clamp up and point at him to help with the lighting issue. Every time id turn it on, he'd retract into a ball. He still looks really bad. But today he moved a few inches into the light, still shriveled up and mouth gaping (he's like this a lot, I know he's doing poorly). Looked at him a minute ago and NOW one of my clowns decides to host him! My two occelaris clowns haven't hosted anything ever except a rock with hair algae when I had excess nutrients months back. I'm just dumbfounded that he'd choose to host a dying nem and wondering if this might help or make it worse. Not that there's much I can do. Just thought it was pretty interesting and strange.

Attachments

• image-2378591109.jpg
    image-2378591109.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 190
what lamp did you buy? my anemone has moved under my heater and powerhead, at a low point and is bleached more

it looks healthier than day 1 in terms of shape, but worse in terms of color. Ive tried feeding it with fail. I just bought frozen mysis, will test tomorrow

nem doesnt go near it, i also have a giant frogspawn it doesnt go near :(

IF the clown decided to host the anemone it is a great news! the clown will feed it. plus if the anemone is bleached that means he has no zooxanthellae to feed on so therefore you should try feeding him daily with fatty foods.

I bought a 5000k flood light. He hates it. A I feed the nem every once in a while IF he'll take it. He usually will take mysis. He's out in the light slightly more now and ill still try to get him with the LEDs for a bit every day. He's been looking bad for months and hasn't died yet! Almost took him out a few times but until he's floating around the tank in a mushy glob, he's staying. Trying to keep positive! :)

You need to crank up your light. I though 5000K is only for plants. Here is the proper parameter to care for BTA

• Relative Care Ease: Average
  • Temperature: 24 to 29 °C (75.2 to 84.2 °F)
  • Specific gravity: 1.024-1.0247
  • pH: 8.3 to 8.4
  • Lighting: VHO Fluorescent, metal halide, high power LED or T5 fluorescent
  • Current: indirect
Good Luck!

I know absolutely nothing about what you guys are talking about, but that picture is soooo cute that I just had to comment! Your clown almost looks like he/she's trying to protect the poor thing!

The first time I saw my clowns host my anemones I was so excited its so cool
One of mine also hides under the rock in a cove but he seems to come on at least once a day

Attachments

• image-4283514906.jpg
    image-4283514906.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 107
  • image-3760887304.jpg
    image-3760887304.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 148
I have been wanting a nem but everyone says I shouldn't get one with corals in my tank. Hope yours gets better.

I have many corals in my tanks with 3 anemones
As along as there not touching what would be the problem with having both??

I know absolutely nothing about what you guys are talking about, but that picture is soooo cute that I just had to comment! Your clown almost looks like he/she's trying to protect the poor thing!

Haha. Yeah I was shocked when I first saw it. The nem was open today and looking wayyyyy better than that pic. But it does look like he's saying "everyone keep away! He doesn't feel well"

IF the clown decided to host the anemone it is a great news! the clown will feed it. plus if the anemone is bleached that means he has no zooxanthellae to feed on so therefore you should try feeding him daily with fatty foods.

Not really, clowns are the last thing you want tearing up a nem if it is not healthy or strong. Also a healthy nem will catch his own food, if it is not healthy, trying to force feed it will only make it worst.

i came here to update since we had similar nems that were dying

when I got mine, it was already bleached, but i thought it was normal :(
he moved and hid under a rock up until yesterday. I fed him frozen mysis shrimp with a baster and today he is already on the move

i think he looks healthier and the fact that he moved made me really happy, only hes about to kill my mushroom, but since mushrooms are durable i know hell be fine

Back
Top Bottom