Finally! Midas is in the DT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I moved my midas blenny into the display tank today, he settled in almost instantly. I had read that they prefer to perch high, but for some reason he has chosen a cave at the bottom of the tank. He has changed colors more frequently today then he did in QT, probably because there was not live rock to blend to in the QT. He did hide in the PVC. So he is bright yellow when swimming, but rapidly changes colors when he returns to the cave. I have never kept one before so I have a question. I know they change colors for many reasons, but is it normal for them to only turn yellow while they are swimming? I will take pictures after he settles down a little more, probably tomorrow.

On a side note, when I bought him at the LFS, they ordered him and told me 22 bucks, so I picked him up and they rang him up for 40. I told them that I had been told 22, the guy laughed and looked at his order sheet and said he had told me the price they paid for it. He changed the price and said he was more than willing to eat it because he likes to keep his customers. One of many reasons I only buy from his store. That and they put him in QT for two weeks and verified he was eating well before selling him to me.

BTW, water parameters are as follows

Ph - 8.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm
Temp. - 72F
Salinity - 1.025 (Refractometer)

Pretty good quality, he is eating. I just feed some frozen prepared foods and he went straight for it, ate it was nice bright yellow then returned to red, pink, brown as soon as he returned to his cave.

It is nice to hear there are lfs out there willing to work with customers and not only after your money. Better then some of the horror stories you hear. Good luck with your midas

Definitely, I used 3 other stores that were horrible before I found this place. They are very honest, they know everything about my tank and offer viable suggestions on livestock. Their prices are great, 40 bucks for a bucket of salt that is good for "160 gallons". I figure I will get closer to 200 gallons, I measured the salinity in the water I made up according to directions and the salinity was over 1.030, it only takes 80% of what they claim to make water at 1.025.

So the Midas has been in the tank for just over a full day, has pretty much rested in the same spot and is still only turning yellow while he swims. He doesn't appear stressed, he chose a spot on the side of the tank, between the glass and a large rock. It is confusing because he is essentially exposed, I was told they typically will perch high where they can see everything, or they will find a hiding spot to peek out of. He stares at his reflection and tries to blend into the rock next to him. Should I be concerned by his behavior, or is this par for the course?

Back
Top Bottom