Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
if i was building this tank i would use 8 x 60" t-5 HO or stagger 8 x 48" t-5 HO and skip the halides. even if you stagger the 48" t-5s you'll be able to keep whatever you want and will have much less heat and much less electricity usage.
i have noticed the opposite about halide fixtures. i much prefer a mogul based fixture, with a quality reflector to a HQI.
i also agree that you can make a much better sump out of your 55 gallon tank than the oceanic wet/dry you have pictured.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have enough space on top for your tank for all those lights?
Oh, Mr X I believe that is what DB said as far as the MH lamps goes ...single end=Mogul and double end=HQI..he just used different words same-same LOL

Old 07-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Thanx but no.....

I agree with the X-factor.. grab yourself a Nova Extreme T5HO or something similar... Unless you're set on the shimmer effect. If so, you'll also be watching your cash shimmer outta your pocket month x month too.

I've got 8 T5's over each of my 90's

Question.. First you talk about a 60" 115, then you mentioned a 120 ? What are the dimensions? 5 footers are great except when it come to finding lights for them. NE's don't come in 60 foot prints.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
if i was building this tank i would use 8 x 60" t-5 HO or stagger 8 x 48" t-5 HO and skip the halides. even if you stagger the 48" t-5s you'll be able to keep whatever you want and will have much less heat and much less electricity usage.
i have noticed the opposite about halide fixtures. i much prefer a mogul based fixture, with a quality reflector to a HQI.
i also agree that you can make a much better sump out of your 55 gallon tank than the oceanic wet/dry you have pictured.
I like the shimmer effect.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Do you have enough space on top for your tank for all those lights?
Oh, Mr X I believe that is what DB said as far as the MH lamps goes ...single end=Mogul and double end=HQI..he just used different words same-same LOL
I think so. I will be using pendants, cutting holes in the to of the canopy and mounting on to of the canopy instead of inside (should help with the heat as well). the t5 ho will go inside
Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lighting plan

2 x Sunlight Sopply Lumen Max 2 Single Ended Mogul Base Reflector

Lumen Max 2 Metal Halide Pendant by Sunlight Supply - AquaCave

1 x Galaxy Dual 250W Electronic Metal Halide Ballast by Sunlight Supply

Galaxy Dual 250W ElectronicMetal Halide Ballast by Sunlight Supply - AquaCave

2 x Radium 250W, 20,000K Single Ended Metal Halide Lamp

Radium 250W, 20,000K Single Ended Metal Halide Lamp - AquaCave

2 x 60" TEK 2 T5 Retro Kit (4 bulbs total - Might go with only one of these

60" TEK 2 T5 Retro Kit 2 x 80W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

Return Pump Options (In Order)

Sicce Syncra Water Pump Model 4.0, 951 GPH

Sicce Syncra Water Pump Model 4.0, 951 GPH - AquaCave

Mag Drive 9.5 Water Pump

Mag Drive 9.5 Water Pump - AquaCave

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 4000

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Water Pump

Any Other sugestions are welcome!!!

Thanks for the input
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAhab View Post
Question.. First you talk about a 60" 115, then you mentioned a 120 ? What are the dimensions? 5 footers are great except when it come to finding lights for them. NE's don't come in 60 foot prints.
I have seen this tank listed as anything from a 110 to a 120. it is 60x18x25. works out to 116.88 gal. It is PERFECT for where it is going.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would go with the Quiet One 4000 over the magdrive or the sicce.

i also like the shimmer effect, but i went to a guys house a while back that was using a nice combination of t-5s and his tank looked like the woods in that movie Avatar. since then i swapped out all halides for t-5s. the lumens and PAR they can produce are amazing.
still, when you dive out at a reef, it looks like a tank under halides.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I prefer haliders over T5HO, Dont get me wrong. They're good if used right and reflected right but halides give a better effect imho.

If your going to have a canopy, Make sure you have fans exhuasting the air and pulling fresh air into it. Also a chiller will most likely be a must for Canopy + Halides.
I just picked up a Hailea 250A Chiller for $180aus. Great little thing, Now in these Aussie summers i wont have to worry about freezing RO bottles. lol.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
I prefer haliders over T5HO, Dont get me wrong. They're good if used right and reflected right but halides give a better effect imho.

If your going to have a canopy, Make sure you have fans exhuasting the air and pulling fresh air into it. Also a chiller will most likely be a must for Canopy + Halides.
I just picked up a Hailea 250A Chiller for $180aus. Great little thing, Now in these Aussie summers i wont have to worry about freezing RO bottles. lol.
If I mount the pendants on the canopy insead of in it do you think I will need a chiller....I MUST have MH. screw the power bill.

planned on the fans. hopefully I won't need the chiller. but if I do....I do. I like what i am going to do with lights (going with only 2 actinic t5ho) still looking at moon lights.

What do you think of the quiet one 4000. the reason i was thinking the sicce is because I have seen an octopus skimmer running with one and it was dead quiet. I am planning to be able to run an external pump instead if needed...any recomendations?

Tags
build, build thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com