Finally my own build thread!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW...thanks for the input. My goal is to make this perfect. I have a plan to get it up and running before I can afford what I want but I need a plan. the pump and the lights are the most important right now so that is why I am asking. I have a HOB skimmer that will handle my bioload for now but....I just want to get it up.

I agree with the X-factor.. grab yourself a Nova Extreme T5HO or something similar... Unless you're set on the shimmer effect. If so, you'll also be watching your cash shimmer outta your pocket month x month too.

I've got 8 T5's over each of my 90's

Question.. First you talk about a 60" 115, then you mentioned a 120 ? What are the dimensions? 5 footers are great except when it come to finding lights for them. NE's don't come in 60 foot prints.

LED light strips can cause the same shimmer effect. without the heat or electricity cost.

i know on my tank i plan on going 6 x 54w t5 ho with 6 led light strips. 3 strips would make one row. 3 8k lights to make shimmer and 3 purple for coral color. they are not strong enough LED's to effect coral growth or anything like that but they are good enough to effect the tank visually.

Yep, True true.

LED is the new upcomming in Aquarium Lighting and is produceing some good results.
If you have the money, I'd go LED for sure. But its expenisive at start up, but no maintenace costs at all really.

i'd rather run an external pump if you can do so. less heat transferred into the water and they are generally better pumps.
btw, the quiet one 4000 is completely quiet.

I am considering an external pump. I am currently designing my sump. That google sketch program is awesome. I will post the plans when I get done.

"do you think I will need a chiller....I MUST have MH. screw the power bill."
I guess that the cost of a chiller shouldn't matter then....

"do you think I will need a chiller....I MUST have MH. screw the power bill."
I guess that the cost of a chiller shouldn't matter then....

I just have no experience with them. size, how they work etc. I don't think the MH's will affect my powerbill that much and if I run the 55 gal sump I won't have enough room for one

I started the design for my sump. The only chamber I have drawn if for top off water. the pipe running through it is for an external return pump if I decide to go that direction.

Attachments

• Sump drawing.jpg
    Sump drawing.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 258
Going back over the chiller discussion -
Its like a little fridge with an inlet and an outlet - it would probably be pretty easy to drill two more holes in the above design you have. Well worth the investment to save pricey corals from overheating in the middle of summer.

I think with some models, you don't need a heater either - the chiller will keep the temp steady at whatever you set it at - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You can hookup the chiller inline with the return line and a chiller will not heat your tank...it's a chiller. Most good chillers have an outlet so that the chiller thermostat controls you cooling and turns your heater on if the water gets to cold. The heater plugs into the back of the chiller.

I must have been looking at the top of the line Chiller:

"Aqua One Arctic Water Conditioner with built-in titanium heat exchanger
For many fish species, particularly in Marine set ups, it is vitally important to provide a constant temperature. In the summer when the water is heated through excessive sunlight or even in the winter when the house is artificially heated the water in the aquarium needs to be cooled and during colder periods in the house it might have to be heated to reach optimum temperature. The Aqua One Artic does just that. You set it to the required temperature and it will maintain that temperature at all times.
The Arctic range of chillers are amongst the easiest units to use on the market. They minimise temperature variations to within 0.5°C."

Yes this one has a heater element, but it also is a 1.5hp so it's for a very big tank. and at 999.99 euros it is expensive.
Thanks for the information.

Couple of new pics today. The first is the begining of my "paint job". It came out GREAT! I will post pictures of it tomorrow. The second is my new toy....

Attachments

• Stand and Canopy in primer.jpg
    Stand and Canopy in primer.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 174
  • CAM_2745.JPG
    CAM_2745.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 73
Ok..

Chiller, Most of the time sits outside your tank so it can draw in fresh air, inside the cabinet it'll get to hot. So you sit the chiller next to your tank and drill 2 holes for the hoses.
Like so.
img_1134162_0_65abdfd4a9d2aa400888f1eb605de195.jpg

I dont know how hot it gets where you live, But if your planning on having MH with a hood (even with vents) and having a full reef then i'd say you need a chiller. I got mine off ebay for $187 Aussie dollars, Rated to 600L. Perfect for my tank. (4x2x2). Have a look around, its not like you have to rush and go get one. They're other ways to go about it, you could add fans blowing the surface of the DT. Also add RO/DI ice blocks into you sump. But a chiller is a non worry item. Will not have to worry about temp fluctuating.

My tank is open hood, And still temp rised 2c at the end of the MH lighting period.

As for the hoses, I think run hoses in your sump to PVC pipes. Imho, PVC piping done right looks neat and good. Tubing looks not as neat i dont think.

I might Add a couple of bulkheads but this (If things go like expected) will be my sump

Yes I will be adding more holes and bulkheads....why...Chiller, Phosphate reactor, Calcium Reactor, Carbon Reactor, etc. I will plug them on the inside until needed.

Attachments

• Sump drawing.jpg
    Sump drawing.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom