Finally my own build thread!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdaniel2882

Aquarium Advice FINatic
After looking for a year and being beaten to the punch on craigslist twice I finally found it!!!!! A 60x18x25 115 reef ready tank. Here is a picture of my 55 that I am upgrading and the setup that I got for $525. It is the tank, stand, canopy, return pump, and oceanic 150 trickle filter. The first problem is that it is not black;) That will be my first "upgrade" The first thing I am going to need is some advice about the oceanic 150 trickle filter. I know to not run the bio balls but should I use this tank and remove the baffles (there is not enough space for a good size skimmer with the exitsting baffles) or just sell it and get a different sump. If it is a different sump what size should I get.

Attachments

• 0920091325-02.jpg
    0920091325-02.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 122
I'm not sure one the oceanic. You can usually get decent money for those sumps though. Tagging along, good luck!

Looking good. Good size tank.

As for the sump, Sell it. Make your own.
Include a DSB (Good way of removing nitrates if set up right - Needs flow.)
Macro Algae (Good way to harvast nitrate out of your tank)
And a good sized/brand skimmer. Also a couple of baffles to get rid of them bubbles.
Make the sump as big as you can, The bigger the better. If you want to get full into reef, Make a Frag section too. But before you make the sump, Make sure you take into account equipment storage. Chiller, Reactors, Ballast and what not.
Great start, Will tag along.

That will endup being a good size tank. I'll be tagging along on this one....

Has anyone used blackout window tint instead of paint on the back of their tank? I was thinking it would be a "shiney" instead of the flat look that paint gives you. what are your thoughts.

Has anyone used blackout window tint instead of paint on the back of their tank? I was thinking it would be a "shiney" instead of the flat look that paint gives you. what are your thoughts.

Do it. You know you want to.

Do it. You know you want to.

I think I am going to order it on monday. I can't find any minuses to doing it that way.

Next on the agenda is lighting. Here is my plan.

2 x 250 MH - what is the difference between Mogul and double ended
4 x 60 inch T5HO Actinics - is this enough or too much
5 x Led moon lights - (1 per foot)

That will give me 820w of lighting. should I reduce the T5's to 2?

I know That build threads tend to have alot of pictures and this one will as well but I need some advice. I don't want to seem like I am whining but could I get some help on the lighting?

Next question. What size return pump do I need for this tank (2 x 1" overflows) should I go with something around 1200 GPH and throttle it down with a Gate valve?

Please give me some input. I got the stand and tank painted and will post pictures tomorrow.

Your lighting is spot on, 250w is great for a 2ft deep tank.

The T5HO will be good too, 4 will be fine.
For a return, I'd prob go something 3500LPH. (Dont know GPH, but im sure you can convert it.)

Make sure you get the single ended fixture though, The double ended ones arnt as good as the single. Or so ive heard.

if i was building this tank i would use 8 x 60" t-5 HO or stagger 8 x 48" t-5 HO and skip the halides. even if you stagger the 48" t-5s you'll be able to keep whatever you want and will have much less heat and much less electricity usage.
i have noticed the opposite about halide fixtures. i much prefer a mogul based fixture, with a quality reflector to a HQI.
i also agree that you can make a much better sump out of your 55 gallon tank than the oceanic wet/dry you have pictured.

Do you have enough space on top for your tank for all those lights?
Oh, Mr X I believe that is what DB said as far as the MH lamps goes ...single end=Mogul and double end=HQI..he just used different words same-same LOL

Last edited:
I agree with the X-factor.. grab yourself a Nova Extreme T5HO or something similar... Unless you're set on the shimmer effect. If so, you'll also be watching your cash shimmer outta your pocket month x month too.

I've got 8 T5's over each of my 90's

Question.. First you talk about a 60" 115, then you mentioned a 120 ? What are the dimensions? 5 footers are great except when it come to finding lights for them. NE's don't come in 60 foot prints.

Last edited:
if i was building this tank i would use 8 x 60" t-5 HO or stagger 8 x 48" t-5 HO and skip the halides. even if you stagger the 48" t-5s you'll be able to keep whatever you want and will have much less heat and much less electricity usage.
i have noticed the opposite about halide fixtures. i much prefer a mogul based fixture, with a quality reflector to a HQI.
i also agree that you can make a much better sump out of your 55 gallon tank than the oceanic wet/dry you have pictured.

I like the shimmer effect.

Do you have enough space on top for your tank for all those lights?
Oh, Mr X I believe that is what DB said as far as the MH lamps goes ...single end=Mogul and double end=HQI..he just used different words same-same LOL

I think so. I will be using pendants, cutting holes in the to of the canopy and mounting on to of the canopy instead of inside (should help with the heat as well). the t5 ho will go inside

Lighting plan

2 x Sunlight Sopply Lumen Max 2 Single Ended Mogul Base Reflector

Lumen Max 2 Metal Halide Pendant by Sunlight Supply - AquaCave

1 x Galaxy Dual 250W Electronic Metal Halide Ballast by Sunlight Supply

Galaxy Dual 250W ElectronicMetal Halide Ballast by Sunlight Supply - AquaCave

2 x Radium 250W, 20,000K Single Ended Metal Halide Lamp

Radium 250W, 20,000K Single Ended Metal Halide Lamp - AquaCave

2 x 60" TEK 2 T5 Retro Kit (4 bulbs total - Might go with only one of these

60" TEK 2 T5 Retro Kit 2 x 80W lamps by Sunlight Supply* - AquaCave

Return Pump Options (In Order)

Sicce Syncra Water Pump Model 4.0, 951 GPH

Sicce Syncra Water Pump Model 4.0, 951 GPH - AquaCave

Mag Drive 9.5 Water Pump

Mag Drive 9.5 Water Pump - AquaCave

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Pump 4000

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Water Pump

Any Other sugestions are welcome!!!

Thanks for the input

Question.. First you talk about a 60" 115, then you mentioned a 120 ? What are the dimensions? 5 footers are great except when it come to finding lights for them. NE's don't come in 60 foot prints.

I have seen this tank listed as anything from a 110 to a 120. it is 60x18x25. works out to 116.88 gal. It is PERFECT for where it is going.

i would go with the Quiet One 4000 over the magdrive or the sicce.

i also like the shimmer effect, but i went to a guys house a while back that was using a nice combination of t-5s and his tank looked like the woods in that movie Avatar. since then i swapped out all halides for t-5s. the lumens and PAR they can produce are amazing.
still, when you dive out at a reef, it looks like a tank under halides.

I prefer haliders over T5HO, Dont get me wrong. They're good if used right and reflected right but halides give a better effect imho.

If your going to have a canopy, Make sure you have fans exhuasting the air and pulling fresh air into it. Also a chiller will most likely be a must for Canopy + Halides.
I just picked up a Hailea 250A Chiller for $180aus. Great little thing, Now in these Aussie summers i wont have to worry about freezing RO bottles. lol.

I prefer haliders over T5HO, Dont get me wrong. They're good if used right and reflected right but halides give a better effect imho.

If your going to have a canopy, Make sure you have fans exhuasting the air and pulling fresh air into it. Also a chiller will most likely be a must for Canopy + Halides.
I just picked up a Hailea 250A Chiller for $180aus. Great little thing, Now in these Aussie summers i wont have to worry about freezing RO bottles. lol.

If I mount the pendants on the canopy insead of in it do you think I will need a chiller....I MUST have MH. screw the power bill.

planned on the fans. hopefully I won't need the chiller. but if I do....I do. I like what i am going to do with lights (going with only 2 actinic t5ho) still looking at moon lights.

What do you think of the quiet one 4000. the reason i was thinking the sicce is because I have seen an octopus skimmer running with one and it was dead quiet. I am planning to be able to run an external pump instead if needed...any recomendations?

Back
Top Bottom