Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I forgot one very important caution!!!

Make sure your return line is very near the surface of your main tank OR that it has a small hole drilled in it near the waters surface. This is a very important syphon break. When the power goes out the return line will actually start to syphon water out of the tank and into the sump. If you have a small hole drilled near the tanks normal operating level then the return line will only syphon a small amount of water out before it starts to draw in air, thus breaking the syphon. (this is very important! Depending on the size of your tank this little oversight can easily syphon an additional 10 to 20 gallons of water into your sump!

Old 10-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Billy, I called to see if the lfs had a pump, and they said I would need at least 750g per hour. 10x the total tank volume. Does this sound right?

Also I need shutoffs right? For when I want to work on the sump.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:37 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

if the retrun pump is the only thing moving water in your tank then yes, you'll want 750 GPH returning to the tank (but if this is the only water movement, you'll want a little more complicated return line that splits the return water into multiple outlets so the tank has good circulation.) IMO, the sump should suppliment existing watermovement from PHs or a seperate closed loop so you can have a good variety of random water current.

Don't forget to figure in the head-height when getting the pump. The farther up the pump has to lift the water the slower it will actually pump (significantly)

for shutoffs, IMO, not really. When you turn off the pump all the water movement stops nad your free to move the sump and plumbing as you need at that poit. If you hard plumb lines to fixtures then you might want, but it sounds like your going for a pretty straight forward sump and shouldn't need to worry about it.
Old 10-01-2004, 08:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 3 PH's in the tank already and plan on leaving them in the tank. What would be the minimum size pump I would need. The head height is 4ft, and the sump is directly under the overflow.

Also I already have one of those adjustable arms that hangs in a slot over the overflow wall that returns the water. Will I need to do something extra to keep from the water going back into it.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:00 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to lawdawg18
This is an excellent post. I bought a 150 reef ready tank last weekend. I'm hoping to try to get my sump done this weekend. Where can I find more information on building a sump out of a rubbermaid? The guy I bought the big tank from said I would need to purchase another tank to make the sump out of. My tank has two over flow boxes with 4 holes drilled Do I plumb the two into the tank tubes together into one, and the two into sump pipes into one or do I need 2 pumps in the sump. I quess that is pretty confusing. Do I need 2 pipes into the sump and 2 out, OR One in and One out? and if anybody has any good sump sites please send them my way. I have been reading them but I'm still pretty confused/ unsure.

THANKS
JASON
Old 10-02-2004, 01:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I have having problems finding a pump around here at reasonable prices. Way over priced!! I am probably going to order one online. Before I order I want you to tell me which Mag Drive I should get?

75g 4ft head height, in a 20g sump

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:52 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Mag7 on my 75. It works fine. The Mega overflow(All glass brand) that came on my tank only supports 650 GPH so the Mag7 worked out good. You don't want a pump bigger than your overflow can handle.

Definately go online. I think the LFS sells the Mag7 for almost $150. Crazy.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

You don't want a pump bigger than your overflow can handle.
eek! yet another VERY important detail I forgot to mention! Thanks for chiming in Ellisz! (thats why it's always good to get more than one opinion!)

If you have 3 other powerheads in the tank that you plan on keeping (a good decision) then you won't need 750 GPH coming out of your sump. Figure out what your overflow is rated for (the larger hole of the two) and then look at that mag-drive flow chart. (Sorry, gonna make you do the figuring and decisions on your own. :wink: It will help you understand how and why your sump works the way it does so you can troubleshoot and fix/adjust as need in the future) and get a pump that won't have a higher flow rate at the 4' head height you'll have than the overflow can handle.

IOW: (this is an example, and the numbers do NOT match your tank... cause I don't know what the numbers are :wink: )
-------------
Lets say your overflow can handle 400GPH.
Lets say you find a pump rated for 600GPH, but only pumps 350GPH @ a 4' head hieght, then thats the pump you want. But if you find a pump that's rated for 600GPH but pumps 500GPH @ a 4' head height, you DONT want that pump, because it will pump more water into your tank than your overflow can handle. (and thus your main tank will overflow onto the floor!)
-------------

Are things making a little more sense yet? And I will second the vote to purchase one online. I bought a Mag7 for I think $50+/- for my 55. (closed loop, flow only)
Old 10-04-2004, 11:28 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

BTW, here's the chart I keep refering to. most Oline retailers will have this chart for the magdrive pumps if they sell them.

http://www.pond-o-mania.com/mag-drivestats.html
Old 10-04-2004, 12:16 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok great info all!! The only problem I have is figuring out how much flow my overflo can handle. How can I do that?

The tank is about 5yrs old, I bought it from a friend, and I have no paperwork on it. How would I go about it? TIA!!

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com