Finally Ready For A sump!! Answers Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gph of the overflow will depend on the size of the bulkhead that will fit in the drilled drain hole in your overflow. I wish I could tell you but I don't know the gph relation to the size of the drain. Should be on the net though. A mag pump can be throttled down though so a mag7 would be pretty safe. A 9.5 might work too but I think that would be about the biggest for a single overflow setup unless the tank was specifically designed for a bigger pump. That is a guess though.

If the tank is an AGA tank you could look on their site. I think they have more than one overflow design.

Thanks for the help, I am just not sure. This is going to drive me nuts! I am ready to set the sump up, I just dont know what size pump. :(

if I'm correct, the two holes you have drilled, 1-3/4" diameter and 1-1/2" diameter will give you a 1" inner diameter line and a 3/4" inner diamter line, respectively.

The 1" will be your drain line, and I think will handle 300GPH? can someone confirm that for me? It seems low.

the 3/4" line will handle just about whatever you can force through it, the rate of return is dependent on the pump, not so much the plumbing diameter.

The 72 gal I have has 2 1" drains and I thought the guy that bulit it had a Mag12 on it. I am pretty sure my 75 has a 1" bulk head and a 3/4" return.

here we go! this PDF is on all-glass' site and they rate their system with a 1" drain and a 3/4" return for maximum 600 GPH. Which sounds more like what I was expecting.

so... 600 GPH max, at a 4' head height, you'll want to buy a Mag-7.

On my 72g RR, I have a Mag9.5 for mine and it's plumbed with a ball-valve to give me the option to drain some of the return back into the sump. It's also going to be hooked up to a scwd which adds some head.

Don't forget to add the extra head through the plumbing. I can't remember off the top of my head, but a 90deg bend in the plumbing adds quite a bit of head height. If you have room, it's better to use two 45deg bends vs one 90.

Should I use the pump in, or out of the water?

I am going with the mag7, I will also use 45 degree angles. Thanks Alot! :wink:

Using the pump in the tank simplifies the plumbing greatly (you just drop the pump in the tank) but the pump will generate a constant heat. In GA, in the summer you may not want that extra heat all the time. Plumbing the pump outside the tank (you said you were going to use a rubbermaid bin right?) is as simple as drilling a hole for another bulkhead that you can plumb the pumps intake into. That line, you will want to have a shut off valve for pump maintenance.

If you go that route, you might as well plumb in a T with another shut off valve for doing easy water changes.

Are mag pumps that great for external use? I know they can be used externally but I thought they ended up heating the water anyway.

I have heat issues with a mag5 and a 7 in my sump but it was ok until I got the MH's. :( I need bigger fans in my canopy and I am trying a fan on my sump.

with most all pumps the motor itself will get pretty warm. So if the entire pump is submerged it will warm the water. If it is plumbed externally I don't think there would be any concerns for heat.

revhtree said:
Should I use the pump in, or out of the water?

I am going with the mag7, I will also use 45 degree angles. Thanks Alot! :wink:

I've heard that some have had leaking issues with mags plumbed externally. There are many pros/cons of plumbing internally or externally.

Internal
Pro - easier to plumb, doent matter if pump leaks, saves space in stand
Cons - adds extra heat, takes up space in sump

External would just be the opposite.

I plumbed mine internally because I dont have space to spare in the stand.

from what I've heard, the external mag "leak issue" was on earlier designs had a gasket flaw and that flaw has since been corrected.

I have a Mag5 that is plumbed externally on a closed loop and have never had an issue.

Ok got my mag 7 in today with the bulkheads. I am going to lowes to get the other stuff to build the standpipe, and plumb the rest.

I am going to use flex pipe from the bulkheads to the sump, is this ok? So I can move them out of the way if I need to move the sump or clean it. Am I correct with this?

Also reg. cement is what I should use right?

How long to wait for it to dry?

Thanks!

I am going to use flex pipe from the bulkheads to the sump, is this ok? So I can move them out of the way if I need to move the sump or clean it. Am I correct with this?

Absolutely. I'm not positive of the flow rate for the flexpipes, but as long as you get a large enough diameter pipe, you shouldn't have any problems. Being able to move/adjust the plumbing I think will be a great thing for you for maintenance etc.

When you say regular cement, you mean PVC cement right? If so yes, I don't think it really matters. The stuff I've used I think is a purplish color. Just ask a Rep at the store to help you pick something that will be "Safe for drinking water" that will give you what you need. Just a reminder... Dry fit your whole setup together once first to be sure there are no unexpected "problems" :wink:

Also I dont know what the peice is called that returns the water back into the tak like a PH. The peice I have is adjustable and will be positioned right at the top of the main tank water level. Will I need any kind of holes there?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom