Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Using the pump in the tank simplifies the plumbing greatly (you just drop the pump in the tank) but the pump will generate a constant heat. In GA, in the summer you may not want that extra heat all the time. Plumbing the pump outside the tank (you said you were going to use a rubbermaid bin right?) is as simple as drilling a hole for another bulkhead that you can plumb the pumps intake into. That line, you will want to have a shut off valve for pump maintenance.

If you go that route, you might as well plumb in a T with another shut off valve for doing easy water changes.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Are mag pumps that great for external use? I know they can be used externally but I thought they ended up heating the water anyway.

I have heat issues with a mag5 and a 7 in my sump but it was ok until I got the MH's. I need bigger fans in my canopy and I am trying a fan on my sump.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

with most all pumps the motor itself will get pretty warm. So if the entire pump is submerged it will warm the water. If it is plumbed externally I don't think there would be any concerns for heat.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
out transfers less heat to the water, but is more likely to leak onto your floor...

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:19 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhtree
Should I use the pump in, or out of the water?

I am going with the mag7, I will also use 45 degree angles. Thanks Alot!
I've heard that some have had leaking issues with mags plumbed externally. There are many pros/cons of plumbing internally or externally.

Internal
Pro - easier to plumb, doent matter if pump leaks, saves space in stand
Cons - adds extra heat, takes up space in sump

External would just be the opposite.

I plumbed mine internally because I dont have space to spare in the stand.
Old 10-06-2004, 03:58 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

from what I've heard, the external mag "leak issue" was on earlier designs had a gasket flaw and that flaw has since been corrected.

I have a Mag5 that is plumbed externally on a closed loop and have never had an issue.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:56 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok got my mag 7 in today with the bulkheads. I am going to lowes to get the other stuff to build the standpipe, and plumb the rest.

I am going to use flex pipe from the bulkheads to the sump, is this ok? So I can move them out of the way if I need to move the sump or clean it. Am I correct with this?

Also reg. cement is what I should use right?

How long to wait for it to dry?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:03 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I am going to use flex pipe from the bulkheads to the sump, is this ok? So I can move them out of the way if I need to move the sump or clean it. Am I correct with this?

Absolutely. I'm not positive of the flow rate for the flexpipes, but as long as you get a large enough diameter pipe, you shouldn't have any problems. Being able to move/adjust the plumbing I think will be a great thing for you for maintenance etc.

When you say regular cement, you mean PVC cement right? If so yes, I don't think it really matters. The stuff I've used I think is a purplish color. Just ask a Rep at the store to help you pick something that will be "Safe for drinking water" that will give you what you need. Just a reminder... Dry fit your whole setup together once first to be sure there are no unexpected "problems" :wink:
Old 10-15-2004, 04:35 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is the genera idea for my set up, what do you think?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also I dont know what the peice is called that returns the water back into the tak like a PH. The peice I have is adjustable and will be positioned right at the top of the main tank water level. Will I need any kind of holes there?

Thanks.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com