Finally Ready For A sump!! Answers Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep, good looking sketch.

I would recomend puting in a hole somewhere at the top of your return line. This can even be on the underside of the return pipe, just after the elbow where the pipe bends after coming up the overflow. (follow?)

My only other thought on the plan, is the drain line. You have it sketched going nearly to the bottom of the sump. I've read a few places (I don't have a sump so I'm just regergitating what i've read elsewhere) that having the drain plumbing go that far under the water can cause back preassure in the drain line and it may not drain as efficiently. Of course, it's always easier to trim off pipe than add it back on so I'd say try it like that first and see if everything flows ok. Then if you need to trim it back you still can.

Lookin good Rev!

Revhtree, I am also building my sump for the AHA 75G tank also. Will you please share some info. what parts and how you connect the ball valve or float switch on flex pipe return? Thanks

revhtree said:
Won't water squirt out of the whole that is made?
Yep. That's why I suggested putting the hole on the underside so it squirts down into the overflow. :) The hole can be quite small.. 1/16th - 1/8th drill bit will do just fine. You might want to put it close to the wall of the overflow show its not squirting stright down into the water (lots of noise)

Oh ok, I just didnt read your post that well. :wink:

I got all the plumbing and parts today. I built the stand pipe, and it looks good if I say so myself! :D

The rest I will finish tomorrow! 8O Alot harder than I imagined.

I also am going to have to go with a rubbermaid tub because the 20g just didnt fit under the tank.

Ok I got some pics of the progress. I bought a rubber container that holds about 23 gallons. I wonder what the actual gallons will be that I can handle. Anyway, I installed to cut offs, and I didnt use flex pipe, it was going to be to hard. I have not added water yet, I will do that tonight after church.

How much water should I add to start? I have 15gallons pre made. :wink:

Ok I put water in the sump, about 15g. I put the seaclone150 in the sump and it's like half taller than the sump. So it sounds like a waterfall. So what I did for temporary relief was I took a oceanic empty salt jug and put it right under the flow coming out from the protein skimmer. It filled up, and now the stream of water hits the water higher and it is muffled. The water flows down the sides of the jug. Is this ok? :wink:

Also I have on the back of my tank a emporor 400 filter, that wont fit in the sump. I was told I didnt need this filter with all the LR I have. Is this true?

you should be ok with the jug acting as a run-off silencer. I might be a little concerned with the water in the jug becoming stagnent... might that might just be me being paranoid. But I'm not sure what else you could do... is it possible to extend the output of the skimmer to be closer to the water level?

with a good amount of LR, yes you don't need a canister filter. You can use it for added flow in your display tank if you'd like, just remove all the filter material from the canister. But, IMO, thats a lot of equip just for water flow. I'd just use powerheads. If you have problems later on , you could hook up the canister with some carbon whatever you need and run it just for as long as you need it, then store it again.

Back
Top Bottom