Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Finally! Started my 70 Gallon Mixed Reef Aquarium

Just wanted to ask random questions and have this as a journal kind of thing Basically I bought a glass aquarium, stand, canopy, small acrylic sump, plumbing, pump from a guy on craigslist. I was going to buy a new biocube 29, but when I saw this huge tank I couldn't resist . Anyway, the plumbing and pump were useless, sump was too small so I sold it, and I ruined the stand and canopy (although the stand didn't look too stable anyway). The dimensions are abnormal so I had to get a custom stand, custom glass sump, and everything else since this was to be a reef aquarium.

Anyway, *phew* after the many struggles/obstacles I encountered while setting this up (made mistakes I could have avoided ) 2 months ago, I added water a 2nd time and everything has been going for the most part smooth. If you're considering giving up, don't! Fulfill your dreams and if this is what you love don't trash it because of an obstacle (my apologies for the cheesiness ).

I fishless cycled and currently my parameters are:
ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
salinity-1.023 YIKES I'll raise it slowly
pH-8.2
phosphate-.25

Sorry for the length and I won't bombard you with questions all at once, but why is my chaeto fading in color (lighter green)/getting bubbles? There is moderate flow..it's not tumbling, but does it really need to? The light is a 6500k 26 watt floodlight I think, I think that's sufficient light.
for reading!
__________________

__________________
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Just wanted to ask random questions and have this as a journal kind of thing Basically I bought a glass aquarium, stand, canopy, small acrylic sump, plumbing, pump from a guy on craigslist. I was going to buy a new biocube 29, but when I saw this huge tank I couldn't resist . Anyway, the plumbing and pump were useless, sump was too small so I sold it, and I ruined the stand and canopy (although the stand didn't look too stable anyway). The dimensions are abnormal so I had to get a custom stand, custom glass sump, and everything else since this was to be a reef aquarium.

Anyway, *phew* after the many struggles/obstacles I encountered while setting this up (made mistakes I could have avoided ) 2 months ago, I added water a 2nd time and everything has been going for the most part smooth. If you're considering giving up, don't! Fulfill your dreams and if this is what you love don't trash it because of an obstacle (my apologies for the cheesiness ).

I fishless cycled and currently my parameters are:
ammonia-0 ppm
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20 ppm
salinity-1.023 YIKES I'll raise it slowly
pH-8.2
phosphate-.25

Sorry for the length and I won't bombard you with questions all at once, but why is my chaeto fading in color (lighter green)/getting bubbles? There is moderate flow..it's not tumbling, but does it really need to? The light is a 6500k 26 watt floodlight I think, I think that's sufficient light.
for reading!
24/ h lighting?
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Qube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hagerstown, Md
Posts: 684
I have heard chaeto doesn't do well in new setups, could be an issue. I can tell you I added mine about 3 months post cycle. It doesn't tumble and it grows like weeds due to the amount I feed. I do flip it over every 3-4 days though.
__________________
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qube
I have heard chaeto doesn't do well in new setups, could be an issue. I can tell you I added mine about 3 months post cycle. It doesn't tumble and it grows like weeds due to the amount I feed. I do flip it over every 3-4 days though.
Just cycled a 250g with chaeto since day 1 size of softball at start and size of basketball now so i wouldn think its because of new tank i also run 24/h lighting just my opinion all tanks are different maybe try rinsing it
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Thanks for the advice! So I got a serpent star last weekend and I haven't seen it come out yet. Don't know if it's dead or not. :L I think I added it too early b/c the nitrates are high. Should I put a piece of food or something on the sand bed and see if it comes out during the night? If anyone has brittle or serpent stars do you rarely or often see them?
__________________
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Thanks for the advice! So I got a serpent star last weekend and I haven't seen it come out yet. Don't know if it's dead or not. :L I think I added it too early b/c the nitrates are high. Should I put a piece of food or something on the sand bed and see if it comes out during the night? If anyone has brittle or serpent stars do you rarely or often see them?
I only see serpent when i feed
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
obscurereef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,301
Well even when I feed and some uneaten food goes towards the bottom, I never see it come out, or see a leg.
__________________

__________________
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium, gallon, reef, reef aquarium, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.