fire shrimp and Banded Cleaner Shrimp compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThAtGuY11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, i have a 90L tank with 2 clowns, 1 humbug, 2 hermits, 3 snails, 3 anemones, and a fire shrimp.
My question is, Can i buy a Banded Cleaner Shrimp without any problems with my fire shrimp?. Can i even buy a skunk cleaner shrimp aswell?
i really like my shrimp :D:D.

Thanks,
:bowl:ThAtGuY:bowl:

If you are talking about a coral banded shrimp, they can become aggressive. Of course all critter's behaviors are subject to their own personalities. Some folks have never had problems with them and others have.
Personally, I love pistol shrimp, but don't plan on seeing much of them. Sexy shrimp are pretty neat too.

coral banded-no, skunk cleanear maybe... they should get along fine as they are both from the same family...Hippolytidae :)

As with all types of inverts it`s always hit or miss. From what I`ve heard from others the CBS is somewhat aggressive to other shrimp. I`m sure there are others that have had good results also.

FWIW - I have a fire shrimp and skunk cleaner shrimp in my 72 gallon and have not had any problems with them. My fire shrimp rarely comes out but my cleaner shrimp is always out and about.

HTH

I'd go for it, but try one of those smaller yellow bellied CBS. Stay away from those plain white ones that get ginormous. Heck, I'd even try a mated pair.

But as mentioned, your mileage may vary.

Yes I second Austinsdad, stay away from the white CBS. I got one before reading up on it. And its literally tearing my cleaning crew. I think my CBS has eaten at least 5 of my hermit crabs in a few weeks time already, and he also snaps at fishes that swim by him. I like him in my tank though so will put up with him eating my hermit for a while. When I start to see less and less of my hermit, I will probably have to put him in my refuge or return him to the LFS.

The CBS is a cool shrimp to be sure though as has been mentioned can become a big meany in the tank. I have had mine for about 2 years now and he's been in there with pepermints, 2 skunks and a camel. All digits still intact from my other shrimp though they all have their own corners of the tank.

I would suggest staying away from the CBS completely, go with the fire shrimp they are much more personable.

I had a pair of cbs in my 125. Once they started mating they become aggresive and went after and killed my peppermint shrimp. I ended up putting the pair in a 12 gallon tank by themselves.

I currently have 3 skunk cleaners, two fire shrimp, one coral banded shrimp, four peppermint shrimp and a pistol shrimp...all living well together. As mentioned, all inverts are different. Just ensure lots of LR with plenty of hiding spaces and territory and you should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom