firefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yaksplat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last night I bought a pair of firefish. Today they're doing fine, except the tail on one of them has about 10 separations in it. Could this have been caused by him thrashing around in the net when I put him in? Will the tail heal back together?

Thanks
Jim

If the water quality is good, the tail should heal within a few days, seperations in the fins like you describe are easily obtainede. Might have been the net, might have been a crab in the LR etc...

well, I just noticed that they're doing the damage to each other. Is there anything that I can do to stop the aggression?

:oops: :oops:

Hit submit by accident...meant to add.

When small fire fish will school, as they grow they will become more and more aggressive with one another unless a pair bond is formed (this last part is supposition, I'm not certain they pair up). So the only solution I see is to remove one.

They should do fine in a group of 3 or more right?

I have read both that they will school and that they will only school when small. With schooling fish the general rule is 2 will fight 3-5 will school, so it could be ;)

I too have read that they often fight in pairs. When I bought my one fire fish at the LFS they had about 5 in the tank and did not seem to be a problem. They are great fish. I would monitor them closely and remove one if you have the ability. When kept singly they are very peaceful. Mine is out all the time when the lights are on and is not bothered by any of the other fish and does not bother them.

Good luck,

my two firefish are inseperable. They are the only two I have ever had, and have both been in the tank since the beginning. They eat together, sleep side by side and travel together. Never seen them harm each other in the least.

Back
Top Bottom