Fireworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigben2057

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed my zoas were still not happy so i decided to break up the rock they were on and inside I found these worms which I think are fireworms. I read that they are not good for them correct?

Attachments

• DSC01951.jpg
    DSC01951.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC01950.jpg
    DSC01950.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 122
I'm thinking bristle worms not fire. Fire worms have white bristles and many more of them.

Those worms safe to me as long as not too many of them.

Bristles can get much bigger than that. I have seen a few on my tank about 6 inches. Just don't over feed and it should keep population down.

They do make traps and if you catch them you can remove them.

Mpfaff77 said:
Bristles can get much bigger than that. I have seen a few on my tank about 6 inches. Just don't over feed and it should keep population down.

They do make traps and if you catch them you can remove them.

Agreed. Or you can dip your coral :)

So here's the lowdown on bristle worms. As a general rule, they are harmless, or even beneficial. The "bad" ones are extremely rare in the hobby. As Mpfaff mentioned, cutting back on feeding will reduce their numbers, as they are detritivores and scavengers.
However, they can do something that crabs and shrimp do all the time. Annoy corals. Bristle worms inside a zoa colony could, theoretically, irritate the polyps often enough to cause damage. You just removed those from the colony, so IF that was the case, problem solved!
In general though, bristle worms are good to have.

Back
Top Bottom