First anemone and have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acolotto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys so my lfs was having sell today so I got 3 purple firefish and a Rbta for $80! At least I think it was a great deal...just wondering besides esablishee aquarium good lighting and flow what else do I need to know? How often do I feed and what? My reef setup has been running for 14 months I have 4x54w t5ho...thanks for the help

Attachments

• image-2413880313.jpg
    image-2413880313.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-283085604.jpg
    image-283085604.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 81
Feeding is unnecessary? I'm confused, don't anemonies in the ocean eat? If not, why do they have tentacles and a mouth? Is t it our job as aquarists to replicate nature to the fullest extent possible? If we are trying to replicate nature, than why would you choose to not feed an animal, that obviously can

Anemones in the ocean hardly ever get food. 99% of the aquarists out there way overfeed them. They are completely photosynthetic. They don't ever have to eat actual food and are able to thrive. feeding them in captivity is more of a novelty than anything else providing you have ample lighting.

Do you think there is any benefit to feeding them?
It would depend on the system. the OP stated ample lighting, and I'm assuming a brand new tank. I would think limiting the amount of nutrients would be much more beneficial to the anemone than meaty food.

I've read it's stressful for them to eat and burns a ton of energy...I figured they would get enough food from when I feed my fish because the only thing I purposely feed is my brain coral because of the tissue damage an heard feeding helps build tissue? Am I right in doing this?

My tank has been up for 14 months so I figured it was mature enough to try a anemone? Was I wrong should I have waited?

Less nutrients is definitely a good thing, sounds like good
Logic. I was led to believe that I needed to feed once a week. This is undoubtedly why my Sebae got huge, now the only place it won't do any damage is in the front corner of my tank . Thought about trading it in, but then I feel I would have to get rid of my Goldband Maroon, they've been paired for about 5 years. Wish I would have known that I didn't need to feed him long ago!

they do not need to be fed if you have good lighting however you can feed if you want, I feed mine a little every now and then. if you have clowns hosting it usually they spit food into it or atleast mine will

Well the nem has made his way into a crack of my rock work does this mean anything? Or just part of adjusting to my tank?

Back
Top Bottom