First anemone/light needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking into getting a anenome for the first time. I am about to buy a new light also. I had a power compact with 2 blue 2 light and a moon light but that I was told wasn't enough. What do you need for anenomes? Is there easier ones than others? I have two clowns also.. Advice please!

If your in the market for a new light get some dimmable LEDs. Depending on the tank you may need two units as one unit tends to only cover a 2 foot square area.

What size is your tank? I have anemones in my 75 gallon. My light fixture is a T5 4 bulb. 2 daylights 10000k and 2 actinic bulbs with moonlights. They do well with that but if you have a smaller tank a 2 bulb T5 fixture should be ok.

If you want to keep nems and not worry how how or low they are in the tank. get MH lighting, expensive-yes, bulbs expensive-yes, hard on electric-yes, nems thrive under them, yes....................plus you can pretty much keep anything you want with them

Holygral said:
If you want to keep nems and not worry how how or low they are in the tank. get MH lighting, expensive-yes, bulbs expensive-yes, hard on electric-yes, nems thrive under them, yes....................plus you can pretty much keep anything you want with them

Or get LED as they provide equal if not better light than MH and you skip the power draw, heat increase and expensive bulb replacement.

Holygral said:

Metal halides can be found for pretty **** cheap on Craigslist. Heat can be an issue but many people can overcome the heat with a clip on fan or two. I personally use a 150w halide over my 29g, no fans tank maxs at 80F on a hot day with AC set at 74.

The power consumption issue is not that drastic, especially once you realize this is an expensive hobby to begin with lol.

But my highest recommendation goes to LED's hands down. Many here will recommend taeotronics (sp) led panels, which are pretty cheap less than $200 i believe and one should cover the tank and allow you to grow anything including nems and SPS, i personally have no experience with these fixtures but im sure some here that do would have no problems answering any questions you have about them.

If I remember right your tank is a 46g bowfront, for T5HO your gonna want a 6 bulb of you go that route.

Back
Top Bottom