First batch of Reef Crystals on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read in enough places that IO salt can be a source of cyano problems (that research done somewhere showed it pretty clearly - don't have a link). I'm tired of fighting cyano - I have more than enough water flow, virtually no PO4, low NO3, and it keeps coming back.

Anyone else see cyano with Instant Ocean?

IO also isn't getting my Ca up to where it should be (only about 320, even mixed to a strong 1.025 sg).

I have my first batch of Reef Crystals on the way from that Fosters and Smith place, even with shipping it was cheaper than IO cost locally.

Hopefully I'll see an improvement in Cyano, as well as general health (although everything is thriving). I have a 30g change coming up next weekend, hopefully the new stuff will be here by then.

I'll update this after a month or so after I've been using it awhile.

I absolutely love the results from my Reef Crystals. I have heard the best things with RC, Oceanic, and Tropic Marin.

Ok Scoot. We are expecting a full report on your results using reef crystals. I would like to know how it goes. Good Luck.

I use Kent and I've been battling cyano for 1+ year.....don't think it's the salt in my case, though!

Oh, I've used that too. We don't have it in big quantities locally, so I've been going with the IO buckets. I've got my RC now, will be doing a big PWC tomorrow.

Cyano is out of hand. Going to have to siphon a ton of it up tomorrow. Haven't had time lately to keep it cleared out as it appears.

Nutrients should be low (barely feeding anymore), and nitrates have dropped to under 10 since I added a DSB (they're still dropping). Phosphates are nil, according to the test kit, so I'm hoping the RC salt will help with this.

Everything else in my tank (except a gonopora, which I regret buying and a chocolate chip star, which got into a pump a few nights ago) ) is doing great.

I have started using the new Seachem salt. Calcium is extremely high (500) although I don't think that will be an issue. pH is good (8.2) and alkalinity was 9.1 dkh. I previously used IO (calcium too low) and Kent (contsant battle with alk and pH). Just my two cents. Will update on Seachem and coral growth, cyano, etc.

Day after 40% PWC (I've added lots of sand, this has reduced the amount of water in the system, I didn't mean to do such a big change).

Replacement water mixed to 1.023. pH of replacement 8.3

Tank readings after 12 hours:
pH: 8.3.

Ca: 420 (first time I've ever gotten it up this high with Instant Ocean salt).

NO3: <5ppm (between 0 and 5).

I haven't measured dKh yet. I'm assuming no phosphates in RC salt, but I'll check that too.

Over the last one month, I've gone from NO3 ranging from 10ppm to 20ppm, from PWC to PWC, to now being under 5 (and dropping), just from adding a few more inches of LS. Honestly, the LS depth varies from 2" at one end, to as deep as 6" in some places - my fish keep moving it around. There was such a cloudy sandstorm after I added the sand, I figured I'd wait awhile to even it out, but its working "as-is", so rather than even out the sand, I'll probably add more to the shallow areas.

With the new Reef Crystals.

IO never got Ca over 320. Even with dosing I could never get it over 350 or so.

Now its 420 after one PWC with RC. Life is good ;)

That`s good. I have been hearing good news about RC and I was thinking about a change even though I like oceanic and calcium stays at 450 with just PWC`s. I`ve been hearing that corals do better with RC. Let me know how things are in a few days. I`m very interested.

Scoot said:
Now its 420 after one PWC with RC. Life is good ;)

I'm confused... I use Reef Crystals solely, and 2-day old freshly made saltwater in my mixing tank consistently measures 360-380ppm at SG 1.024 and pH 8.3-8.4.

I haven't had any issues with Reef Crystals, and plan on continuing to use it - but don't see how it could raise your Ca levels to 420 unless it has something to do with the Alkalinity? What am I missing?

Kurt_Nelson said:
I use Reef Crystals solely, and 2-day old freshly made saltwater in my mixing tank consistently measures 360-380ppm at SG 1.024 and pH 8.3-8.4.
I get the same results. FWIW I was a little disappointed b/c I thought the Ca in Reef Crystals would be higher than regular IO. It is about the same but the Alk is approx. 0.5 meg/l higher in RC's.

Back
Top Bottom