First coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grease

Aquarium Advice Freak
I wanna get my first coral. I wanna get a nice, easy, cheap first one. Any suggestions?

Try mushrooms or zooanthids. They're not too light demanding or flow demanding, and can do well in less than pristine conditions. With a little more flow and light, Xenia and green star polyps can turn into weed corals that grow everywhere in your tank. I think palythoas are also the same way.

Last edited:
Is it bad when u say weed coral n they grow everywhere? Do u not want that to happen? I'm fairly new especially to coral, if my ? r dumb

There are all sorts of types....Mushrooms,Xenia,Leathers(Devil's Hand, my first coral) Zoanthids etc.

On monday I went out n got a button polyp. I acclimated it, then used coral dip. It's been 3 days now n I haven't seen any of the polyps come out. Is that normal or is something wrong? This is my 1st.

Where did you put it in the tank? Mine closes up when the lights go out. I have mine bout little above mid tank (which is about the top of my rock and he is opening all the time now. Have had him about 2 weeks now. I got an Elegance Coral too and it is doing fantanstic (got them same time). I've had to move him alittle also and put him under less flow.

What kind of lighting do you have, and how close is the coral to the light? Regardless, a lot of coral take a few days to get comfy in their new home.

My corals have always opened up in less than 24hrs, but I hear that is not uncommon. If you get a “weed coral”, I suggest isolating it on a rock on the sand bed.

I have it place on the lower half of tank. On a rock. I did have it at the top n it got a lot of light n heavy water flow. Thought maybe it was to much so I moved closer to the bottom. It still gets light n water flow just not as much. I have a 36in dual lamp t5 ho marine light 2-39w.

If the coral does die do I need to remove it right away? How do I tell if it is dead?

Back
Top Bottom