Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
first coral purchase pictures inside

well i desided to buy my first coral sunday its an anthia pictures are included. do i have it placed in the aquarium in the right spot? also how does it look like it doing?. been setup about 3 months i dunno if any members would suggest that 3 months is 2 short for corals but all my parameters where in order ammonia 0, nitrite 0 , nitrate 5, calcium 400( is this an ok number?)

Old 03-13-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to TheRealFF
Beautiful.

I got my corals from month 2 and they are doing great. Some people might say it's too early but i'd say ur doing great with those parameters

I am one of those reefnuts that are actually nuts!
TheRealFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Congratulations and welcome to the addiction!

Looks to be healthy, but I am not familiar with the name Anthia for corals. I know there are fish by that name. Have you found anything on it? Almost looks like a type of brain.

As for being to early, not really as long as your system is holding steady. Some would say you should wait until you system is 6-12 months old. As long as your water parameters and lighting are adequate you should be good.

What do you have for lighting?

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

540 watt metal halide and power compact combo, i brought from a local aquarium shop the guy told me they where anthias and thats what the receipt says i cant find any info on it either hehe
Old 03-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should be fine on lighting for just about any corals anenome or clams you want down the road with a metal halide.

Try posting you pic in ID section and someone may be able to help. Ask the LFS if they have some information on it as well.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry double post

Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for all the info
Old 03-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is a goniopora (flower pot coral). They are very difficult coral to house along with a low survival rate. I know 5 people locally that have had these. Only 1 is still alive. I had 1 for about 6 months untill my clown stressed it to death. Here is a link with some info on it. Those polyps should be extended atleast 5 more inches or so.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/cor...oniopora_p.htm
http://saltaquarium.about.com/librar...gionebrain.htm
http://www.marinecenter.com/corals/c...onioporacoral/
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I can see that now. I did not recognize it with the tenacles retracted. I almost bought one early on, but the LFS employee did something uncomon and advised against knowing I was new to corals. Not to say you cannot be successful, but is it possible to return to LFS?

Since you are making the dive into corals I highly suggest you pick up a couple of books for IDing them. The one I find most helpful is Julian Sprungs "Corals" Not much narative on each coral, but tons of pictures with an easy to read guide on lightin, aggressiveness, feeding and placement.

Check out the book list on this site for some ideas as well:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/saltbook.php

This link is also good for identification and some basic info.:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=597

Take a look at my info. All the corals I currently have would be considered easy to moderate care and good for beginners.

Do not give up, I am disappointed the LFS would sell this to you as a first coral.

Good Luck,

Old 03-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i took the picture when i first turned on my lights, after my lights are turned on for a while the polyps fully exstend,also i think i'll keep it i understand it doesnt have a high servival rate but that doesnt exactly mean it will die also thanks for the info guys

Tags
coral, first coral, pictures

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com