Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2004, 01:15 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Zack
Hey
Your snail pic does not work for me. I will get an exact ID. The whelks as reefrunner said can be preadtors but i have not found them to be in our main tanks. I also have quite a few of them. Have you seen them eat the frags?

Old 01-13-2004, 08:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure about the pic but it worked for me still. If you want me to send you a pic directly, PM me.

As for them eating a coral, I have only had my coral frags since Saturday. I found one on top of my smaller frag but I was not sure what it was doing. It freaked me out so I knocked it off. The frag appeared to be ok though. I have not seen any do it since. I was looking for the snails last night and had trouble finding them, go figure I found 2 of the larger ones and they were on the rock.

This makes me wonder though ... how easy it for Nassarius snails to be confused with Whelks? I went to a LFS to get some nassarius snails over the weekend and the were very small and had black shells. He was getting some of them off the glass. Unfortunately, the guy before me got 30 and there were not enough for me. Is this something that is better of mail ordered?

Old 01-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

HMM i now see the snail pic. Like i said i have servel never had any trouble in either my softie tank or sps/clam tank. I would just watch before killing the snail, not sure what to say with it being on top of polyps, i have seen snails go everywhere, they rarely avoid anything. The polyps, closed up proably didn't bother the snail.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I would not kill it. I have another tank set up with the hithiker crabs in it. Some crabs I caught and some I left.

It is amazing all the stuff that keeps coming out. I found a bristle worm and a serpent star coming out from under the rock just this week.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like i always try to say, theres LOTS of life. Keep us updadated on the snails.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

It appears to be a whelk to me also, but I'm not sure.

Here's an article that may help:

> The Predatory Shelled Snails< ~ Ronald Shimek, Ph.D.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
As for them eating a coral, I have only had my coral frags since Saturday.
FWIW, I believe predatory whelks prey on other motile inverts (other snails, worms, etc.). I don't think they eat corals? I'm not 100% sure, but that's my understanding.
ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Based on those links, I would say I agree but it does list clams as a food source. I have some turkey wings which are a type of clam I believe on some of my FL rock.

A link from that site shows some whelk shells. The shells shown don't really look like mine though. Mine are a smooth shell and don't have any bumps or horns.

great link, Thanks!

Snails with teeth is sort of freaky. The fish eating and human killing snail is nice 8O
Old 01-13-2004, 12:40 PM   #19
steve-s

Actually I don't think that is a whelk but it is a predatory snail, mainly other snails. Looks much like something from the Fasciolariidae family (fasciolaria sp.)

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 10:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Thought this was interesting on Whelks . . .

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ides/index.htm

Tags
coral, corals, first coral, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com