Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First Fish!!!

Tommarow my tank will be 2 months old... I've been looking for some blue/green chromis to add to my tank for about a month now. Neither of my LFS ever seem to have them in stock. Well today hidden in the back "reef room" of one of them they had a tank with about 20, the owner said he had ordered 100 and the rest had sold over the weekend.

I took 3 home with me. I did about an hour and a half acclimation. For the first 8 hours they all stayed up in a back corner, at a 45 degree tilt. I left the lights off and let them be for about 6 hours. When I came back they were still all up there. I flipped on the lights and 1 came racing out and headed to the front corner. When I went to take a look at him he headed to the middle of the tank, and out came his friends to join him. They've been swimming around ever since. They all look healthy, I just hope they stay that way.

Old 11-23-2004, 08:38 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Very hardy fish too.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like they are just getting used to the new digs. Great fish with nice color. You will enjoy them.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Cool beans!!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

3 Chromis were my first fish as well. Mine often school.
very hardy and active.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

There doing great! Last night when I shut the lights they split up and ran to there corners again. They spent the night in the corners doing the angle thing again. When I turned the lights this morning they came out and after about 5 minuts were schooled up again. I noticed they were snapping up( and spitting out) any particulate that passed by so I gave them some food.

Well I wasn't sure how to feed exactly. They didn't eat the flake at the surface, so I tryed to submerg it. Didn't take it. I then broke it apart and submerged it. They gobbled it right up.

Which brings me to my next question. Is this normal, if so can anyone puch me in the direction of a feeding guide or give me some tips.

They've stayed in open water and haven't come within 3 inches of the LR let alone through the caves, or crevices, is this normal for a chromis or will they take time to 'find' it?
Old 11-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I squeeze my flakes to break'm up a bit. My chromis will steer clear of the large flake pieces. They eat flakes, frozen foods, and live brine (every once in a while), but they stay away from big pieces of anything. Sounds like that's your problem.

When I feed flakes, I break'm up under the water. That way, they don't float on the top as much.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
When I feed flakes, I break'm up under the water. That way, they don't float on the top as much.
Exactly what I had to do.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great pick for first fish. they are a type of damsel, but not aggressive at all. I have 5 for bout 9 months now and it sounds like yours are behaving true to form. Mine constantly school in the open middle to top 1/3 of the tank. If your tank is big enough and you decide to add more I have heard odd numbers are the best.

As for feeding I do some small flake, but mostly frozen green life line, or mysis shrimp broken into small pieces.

BTW how big is your tank?

Good luck,

Aaron

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've had 5 for about 2 months and they are alot of fun to watch. For feeding I feed a 1/2 cube frozen spirulina enhanced brine (I let it thaw in a spoon before pouring in the tank). They chomp it down fast.

As for quanitity/frequency of feedings - what they can completely consume in < 2min is a good rule to start.

Hungry fish are Happy fish.

Nate C

Tags
first fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com