Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
first foray into corals...

and already, I think I have a problem. for reasons that I cannot understand yet, my Nitrates seem to have spiked pretty badly. Some dead snails in my live rock, maybe?

Anyway, I put some polyps in, along with a green finger leather (I think I have the names right). The polyps seem ok -- bright and colorful, all of them are opening up when the lights are on (and very pretty when I put the moon lights on). The finger leather, though concerns me a little. It looks shorter than it did at the store -- as if it were trying to contract itself, or something.

So here are my questions: What would it look like, if the finger leather was not adapting itself to the tank very well? If it's not ok, how long do I have to get the Nitrates back down, before it dies? How will I know when it's dead?

In case it's helpful, here's what I have: 29 gallons, sand bottom, about 50 lbs of live rock; the filter is rated for a 50 gallon tank, and the lights are compact fluorescent, plus actinic blue, with LED lights at night, to simulate moonlight -- the full-spectrum lights are on for about 10-11 hours a day, and I use the actinic blue only, for about 30-45 minutes in the morning and at night, to simulate dawn and dusk. Also, there's a half-black angel, a striped blenny and a strawberry basslet in the tank, and the whole thing has been up and running for around a year.

Mr. Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You will find that leathers will naturally contract and expand.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
BeanPets is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com