Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-26-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you have any frags as of now? I have 7 torch frags 3 carnation's propagating and 3 purple mushroom's Trade time w00t.

Come Join The Dark Side
Marc118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
At a LFS i went to, in every coral tank, they have a blue devil damsel. I don't know if saying that helps anything but HTH lol

I'm one of those fishnutz, who are actually nutz.
FishFrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
You should be fine. I run a basically a frag tank out of a 2 1/2 gallon with the exact same light, only just one of them, and even smaller filter, and all that really does is move the water arround. I have metalic green star polyp heaven going on in there, they must love it. If the rocks were smaller size I would have soldl/traded them by now, but as it is, I am waiting for them to grow in a bit more before I ask for the big $ for them - a bunch of four to six inch chunks of metalic green stars on purple mat. I have seen chunks like this retail for $40-50.

The star frags were placed up high in the tank BTW, so are only about 5 inches under the 18w fixture. That is why they grew down and over all my LR chunks.

Kenya does ok in there, as well. Not great, but not dead after 2 years either. It grows, just not fast.

Xenia same thing - small frag, 2 years later, is the exact same size. But it has been 2 years, so that must be saying something to keep this stuff.

My frogspawn frag isn't dead, but 2 years later is about the same size, and never really 'opens' up. I would avoid SPS corals under these lights, as LPS don't really do all that well.

All kinds of polyps and zoos do great however.

Good Idea about putting the rubble in there - that will make removing encrusing type corals a lot easier, mine liked to encrust over the LR that was decoration instead.

Good luck and keep us posted on what works, I am looking forward to the day when I can sell off these star polyp colonies and try something else.

abnmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
I started with a 10 gal separate frag tank. Growth results were not as great as the display. I decided to add the frag tank to the display system and all is good

I now run a 20L with 2x55 PC lights and a 10 gal with a NO light and a 10 watt CF bulb for some softies that I don't want in the 20L. I am looking at a 33L so that will be nice.

More water volume the better.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

frag, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com