Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First new SW fish?

Today I added my first SW fish to my new aquarium. I bought a small 3" Dogface Puffer. I brought him home, floated him in the tank for 20 mins, then put him and the fish shop water in a 5 gallon bucket that was angled so that he would remain submerged, I then made a drip line with some air tubing and let the tank drip slowly into the bucket for 60 mins. I then used a small plastic cup and scooped him and some water into my aquarium. All the while the aquarium lights were off, and the room lights were down low, the room was very dim. I have read that it eases a fish's transition in a lowly lit room. I believe that I did all of this correctly?

Anyways, he swam to a small cave under some live rock, and is now just sitting on the bottom, his eyes are moving occasionally, but has not really swam yet, is this normal?

Tell me what you think?

Jared

Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update:

He's now out exploring the tank! He is even eating some of the halameda (I think that is what it is), although I don't think he likes it as he spits it out LOL.

I also added a small frag of Radioactive Green Dragon Eyes, hopefully they take off as well.

Jared

Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

congrats...
Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! He is still exploring, checking out all of the caves, nooks, and crannies. So far he has tasted nearly every rock in the aquarium, and even took a few bites of a pink colored soft polyp that was on a live rock. I hope he doesn't eat my green dragon eyes, but they were put in there to test him. If he leaves it be, then I can add some other corals, it he eats it, then I'm out $15 and learned a lesson.

Jared
Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

hey...check out on the articles about the compatible fishs and corals...there is article from this site showing that....may use it as your reference like me...
Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What LFS do you go to? I've only checked out Atlantis Trop Fish on North Rock Springs Dr.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is the one I like as well, they have walked me through the entire setup process. Their prices on quite a bit of stuff is actually cheaper than the big box stores.

I noticed this morning that my zoas glow in the moonlight, pretty cool! I pray my puffer don't eat them LOL.

Jared
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just noticed that my new Dogface Puffer has white spots on his fins, these were not there last night. His behavior is still normal, and he ate fine this morning, could this be ich? I had goldfish with ich, and it sure looked like this.

What should I do?

Jared
Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have sand in the tank? It could also be specs of LR or coral if he's munching on it. I had a trigger beat up some Chromis in one tank and he had specs of scales/meat on him for a day...
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes my tank has white Fiji Pink sand, along with whitish live rock, and he has been nipping at the rock since I put him in there.

I called my fish shop, and he told me that sometimes puffers get sand grains stuck in their slime coat, which makes sense as he likes to blow into the sand and make it fly. He said he has never seen a fish get ich only 12 hours after sale. My puffer is acting normally, so maybe he is fine. I had a whole freshwater tank die in a week from ich, so now I am paranoid. He told me to raise the temp on my tank 1-2º per day, until I reach 78º. And only run the lights for 2-3 hours per day, and watch the puffer closely. I sure hope he is okay, but I am worried.

Jared

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com