Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

First post / new tank

Ok so I am new to saltwater and reef tanks. I've been researching a lot and learned quite a bit but not even close to how much I can and need to...also I'm starting to become a lot more interested in just the marine culture in general. It's so colorful and bright it's awesome.

So anyway I'm gunna try to do a 20gal long nano reef for my first shot. I've heard mixed things like dont try small tanks and blah blah blah but I like to do things the hard way first so it's easier later after you mess up a few times and I don't want to spend money on a new aquarium.

So right now I have a marine land H.O.T magnum hang on canister filter, lees protein skimmer, marine land maxi-jet 400, viaAqua quartz heater, and a tetra whisper 20gal air pump, also have a API saltwater master kit. So I still need to get reef test kit, salt, lights, live rock, fish (in about two months).

Let me know what you think.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say the 20 long is a good size tank. I not a big fan of canister filters so if it was me I would ditch that. You equipment list looks good, do you have a ro-di system? If you are going reef I believe it's a must. The water is the most important ingredient for a reef tank sounds like you are on the right track, take your time and make sure to research any livestock before you buy. Welcome to the most addictive hobby!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

So are you going to be doing corals? I would recommend a 'for but not with' coral system. The difference is you can cheap out on lights now (you mentioned cheaping out, which is a reasonable concept) and if you truely get the bug, upgrade later. Also, no need for the Reef test kit unless you are going to go reef. Finally, leave the air pump out. You don't need or want it in a saltwater system.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea thanks and I'm picking up some led lights with blue and white spectrum should be good enough for corals. And for the canister filter I'm just gunna use it for now till I figure out a sump idea bc a friend of mine has done saltwater and said its the best way to go but for now I'm gunna go with the canister filter and change out filters every two weeks.

I need some ideas for live rock though. How I should go about it and what not. At my LFS they have some live rock for 12.99 a pound which is pretty expensive but it's very established has lots of stuff growing on it and already a has some mushrooms and other stuff. But idk bc I'm startIng one out from scratch so I could always just get rock and let it cycle itself I'm the new tank for and a month and a half.

Idk give me some poinyers
Old 05-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can use dry base rock and 1 lb of live rock to seed the base rock it will save you a lot of cash if your planing to go reef buy the lights now no need to pay twice for lights. A sump is a good idea as it adds volume to the system leaving more room for mistakes Keep the fish stock light 3-5 nano fish

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingy View Post
So are you going to be doing corals? I would recommend a 'for but not with' coral system. The difference is you can cheap out on lights now (you mentioned cheaping out, which is a reasonable concept) and if you truely get the bug, upgrade later. Also, no need for the Reef test kit unless you are going to go reef. Finally, leave the air pump out. You don't need or want it in a saltwater system.
I believe the air pump is for his skimmer. Am I right?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wouldn't use any of that 12 dollar a pound rock. I would use all dry rock. Ditch the air pump and you will need a larger power head than a maxijet 400 for a 20 long IMO.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

The air pump is for the skimmer correct. And the guy at the LFS only works with saltwater tanks and he said the power head should be plenty fine with the canister filter on too.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
You can use dry base rock and 1 lb of live rock to seed the base rock it will save you a lot of cash if your planing to go reef buy the lights now no need to pay twice for lights. A sump is a good idea as it adds volume to the system leaving more room for mistakes Keep the fish stock light 3-5 nano fish
Thanks a lot for the info I appreciate it. And yea I wanted to have 6 at the most. And I'm not really sure how all the live rock stuff works and how I would go about starting it and all
Old 05-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You'll have to wash the canister out regularly....like weekly, or you will see a nitrate build up. The power head is way undersized, especially if you decide to add corals.
You'll see. 100gph is about enough for a pico.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com