Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My mistake, they do ship to NJ. They just don't have a delivery point (which would be cheaper) so I would need to call or email them to get an estimate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think what I might do is see if my lfs guy could order a 40 for me (though I would have to see what brand and for how much $) I think if he can get me a good brand and there's not a huge price difference from what I can get online I'll give the business to my lfs

Old 10-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElobster99 View Post
I think what I might do is see if my lfs guy could order a 40 for me (though I would have to see what brand and for how much $) I think if he can get me a good brand and there's not a huge price difference from what I can get online I'll give the business to my lfs

Good thought. He may be able to do that and something I didn't think of. Possibly a little cheaper as a wholesaler/distributor. Could be a win/win on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok so i got a 50g becuase my brother had a 50 stand already... But when I went outside with the hose and started to clean it out I noticed a really bad smell and that the water was full of suds.. I thought the suds might have been from the water pressure but they stayed for a long time so I sprayed some water on my hands and it had a really bad chemical smell... So I concluded at this point that there was something in the hose so I poured the water out and got a bucket of tap water and added some decloronator and scrubbed the tank by hand... If there really was some chemical in the hose is the tank still OK to use? I know that mantis shrimps are very sensitive to chemicals. But I do plan to cycle the tank which would mean a bunch of water changes. If I cleaned the tank with decloronator tap water and do several water changes before I put the mantis in will the mantis be ok? I might be over reacting but I want to be safe

Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElobster99 View Post
Ok so i got a 50g becuase my brother had a 50 stand already... But when I went outside with the hose and started to clean it out I noticed a really bad smell and that the water was full of suds.. I thought the suds might have been from the water pressure but they stayed for a long time so I sprayed some water on my hands and it had a really bad chemical smell... So I concluded at this point that there was something in the hose so I poured the water out and got a bucket of tap water and added some decloronator and scrubbed the tank by hand... If there really was some chemical in the hose is the tank still OK to use? I know that mantis shrimps are very sensitive to chemicals. But I do plan to cycle the tank which would mean a bunch of water changes. If I cleaned the tank with decloronator tap water and do several water changes before I put the mantis in will the mantis be ok? I might be over reacting but I want to be safe

The tank will be fine, glass and silicone wont absorb stuff. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

vinegar and water, then rinsed well usually works great. can't wait for this build

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A lot of people have told me to put a sheet of acrylic on the bottom of the tank in case the mantis burrows and decides to smash the bottom.. Is that overkill or should I be fine?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just make a crescent burrow out of PVC and there won't be any reason for him to burrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to go to home Depot tonight to get another hose (probably one labeled as drinking water safe) and I thought I might pick a piece of acrylic up while I'm there. Would this piece of acrylic work? I pretty sure the tank is 36L and 18W so that piece should cover most of the bottom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413842193797.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	253536  
Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And as for cleaning the tank.. I found some vinegar that my mother uses for cleaning floors ect. Will that be sufficient?

Tags
mantis shrimp, peacock, rim, salt, shrimp, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com