First salt tank (Peacock mantis shrimp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great news! My brother went out and found a sea clone 100 for 50 bucks! I'm gonna use that and my Aquaclear 110 Hob. But what should I use as filter media for the hob? Side not: I also bought vinegar and a new hose so I'll clean the tank this afternoon

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those skimmers really don't work well. I used them back a few years ago.

I got them new for that you'll spend more time trying to get it to work right wishing you went out and got a nice one

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that going to be sufficient filtration then? i really have no experience with skimmers

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Skimmers are for nutrient removal. Live rock is for filtration.

A skimmer is going to help keep your nitrates and to an extent your phosphates down. Other than that, it's not gonna do much. Not necessary, but it's good to have.

If I'm not mistaken, that's a HOB filter. It shouldn't make much difference whether you run it in the display or sump.

Any vinegar should work. No downside to a sheet of acrylic on the bottom. Just rinse well.

These stomatopods are like shrimp, they don't like rapid water changes, that's why the bigger the tank the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So if i run the skimmer with the HOB, How often should i be performing water changes?
And what media should i put in the HOB? I realize that the LR is the bio filtration so should i just put some filter sponges in the hob for mechanical filtration?

Every week I would suggest 10%. Depending on the final bio load.

I like skimmers. There are few downsides to them. You might leave room in the HOB for a mesh bag of Chemipure or other nutrient binder.

Why is RO/DI better than RO? Is it worth investing in an RO/DI system?

My brother has a 100 gph aquatic life RO buddie and apparently there is a $40 DI add on...first of all, is this even a good RO system to start with? And if it is a good system, should I get the DI add on?

Yes to the di addition, also I'd look at putting a tds meter in the system. Many issues can be resolved or never occur at all with proper water to start with.

is there any specific TDS meter you recommend?

I'd use a dual input inline tds meter, one probe before the di resin and one after. That'll give you a reading to see when you need to replace your ro membrane and the meter after will give you the output reading which should be as close to 0 as possible.

Check out bulkreefsupply, they have great units.

I second bulkreefsupply for their units. When I got mine, I was able to put in everything that I wanted for a great unit. The only thing I didn't get added in was a pressure release on the unit, which if I remember correctly is also offered. It can get pretty rough to change out the resin/filters sometimes with how much pressure builds up.

So is the aquatic life ro buddy coupled with the DI add on a good setup? Or should I be looking to upgrade to a superior RO/DI system in the future

The tds meter will tell you how good it is. I'd get a di resin single stage from brs and use it with the filter and see what tds you get. If it's zero your good, if it's higher or your blowing through the di resin really fast you can replace the aquamedic with other parts from brs to get it to zero

I use an aquatic life ro Buddie rodi system and it works great. always giving me 0tds

Back
Top Bottom