Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First salt tank (Peacock mantis shrimp)

I've decided to dive into the saltwater hobby. I've kept freshwater tanks fro years but the mantis shrimps really got me interested in Salt. My LFS guys said he could order me one. I was hoping to find a smaller specimen becuae I've been told that these guys have a short life span. I was planning on keeping the mantis in a 20 gallon (glass not acrylic) with a lot of live rock. Google has been able to answer the majority of my questions about the shrimp but I had trouble finding certain information. All the sites say not to worry about water perimeters. But like I said, this is my first salt tank so I have no idea what is considered average water perimeters. I plan on using RO water. Do I just add the salt mix? Or do I add a buffer and salt? What water chemistry should I be aiming for here? Any suggestions on what brands I should get would also be appreciated. My second question is what to feed it. Do I need to get live food? Do I need to get seafood from a grocery store? Or would that mantis be happy with a particular brand of fish or invert food? My last question is what filtration should I get. Do I need to get a protein skimmer? I have a bunch of Aquaclear HOBs laying around. I think I have a 20 and 30 but I'm not sure. Or would I be better off with a canister filter? Specific models and brands please

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-19-2014, 07:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry for the essay I just don't want to screw up my first attempt at saltwater

Old 10-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

1 - Water parameters - Shoot for 0 ammonia / nitrites and as close to 0 nitrates and phosphates as you can get. pH around 8.1. The other parameters don't really matter as long as you don't have coral

2 - Salt - Just mix the salt with the water. RO/DI water is better, but RO will work. Instant Ocean is a pretty standard salt brand to use. It should have everything you need.

3 - Food - Food from the store would be best. Particularly something like clams that it can bash into pieces but shrimp will work as well.

4 - Live rock is the filtration for your tank. Approximately 1 lb + of rock per gallon of water is sufficient.

5 - Flow - Shoot for 10x-40x the tank volume per hour in flow. It doesn't matter what you use, but most people use powerheads. The hydor koralia are probably the most popular value brand. However, your aquaclear filters will work just fine. Be careful tho, I've seen videos where a mantis shrimp decided it didn't like a filter in the tank and decided it would look better in more pieces. On that note, a metal heater would be a good choice.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the quick response. My hob is pretty old so I wouldn't be too upset with the mantis if he decided to smash it to pieces . And I actually use a Hydor in my FW tank and I've had no issues so I'll probably go for one of those.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mebbid has you pretty much covered on the aspects he discussed. I've done a bit of research as well since it is one of the items on my list in the future. With over 400 species out there, it's a lot of info to dissect but the basics are fairly common. I have seen contradictory info on them but would tend to go with the caution side vs the risk side.

By this, I would choose to go with a 30 or 40 over a 20g. Most importantly because smaller tanks can go from good to bad to worse much more quickly and unnoticed than a larger tank. Also with choosing a tank, I would suggest the idea of acrylic over glass for a few reasons. I understand cost is usually a big factor involved, so if it is glass, at least line the bottom below the sand with a piece of acrylic just as a precaution. Here's a link for pros and cons of each if you haven't looked. http://www.tankterrors.com/acrylic-v...ter-pros-cons/

Chances are it will be a green or clown mantis your LFS can get a hold of. Neither will grow super large but if it winds up being a zebra species, it could grow to 15".

Looking forward to what you wind up going and please keep us posted !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How much would a 30g acrylic cost me? And where might I find one?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

And are you recommending acrylic due to the possibility that the mantis will smash a glass tank or just in general

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Mantis shrimp are not actually shrimp but stomatopods. That being said the water quality should be kept similar to keeping other fragile inverts like shrimp. Mebbid already pointed out 0,0 and 0 for ammo, Trites and nitrates. Mantis are quite messy so you'll need to keep up weekly wcs and make sure the tank is cycled. These guys are highly predatory and have phenomenal eyesight. Like close to best in the animal kingdom. If you're getting a peacock you'll need a bigger tank than a 30 IMO. They get huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

First salt tank (Peacock mantis shrimp)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElobster99 View Post
How much would a 30g acrylic cost me? And where might I find one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElobster99 View Post
And are you recommending acrylic due to the possibility that the mantis will smash a glass tank or just in general

Here's a link to a manufacturer. I've never personally dealt with them but plan on it for my mantis and 300g build. I've never heard a bad word about them or their tanks, and we all know that good news travels fast and bad news faster. I would stick with them just for tanks as I believe other things may be cheaper elsewhere. Maybe someone else can offer another supplier that has experience in purchases.

I say acrylic simply for the strength side of it and no other reason.

Edit : forgot link, d'oh !!! http://www.glasscages.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Glass cages dosnt deliver anywhere in New Jersey

Tags
mantis shrimp, peacock, rim, salt, shrimp, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com