Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEaquarium06 View Post
Okay so that means im going to be needing to check the salinity atleast once a day? also im assuming i should switch to some type of sand substrate? and what about lighting and foliage?
Salinity will stay the same as long as you top off regularly. In a 20g you will need to top off every 2 to 3 days or so on average to keep the salinity stable although this will change based on humidity.

Use an aragonite substrate. Avoid crushed coral like the plague.

Theres not much foliage in salt water, but there are some macro algaes you can grow in a salt tank.
Quote:
Okay, i have two more question that is gsp specific as ive tried to look it up and i cant seem to find anything. 1) how much salt should i add into the tank and at what rate? like should i put just a small amount in every week? or month? and 2) what do they like in their tanks? live rock? anything like that?
Green star polyps are pretty bullet proof. Good light, not too much flow, and stable parameters will make it grow like a weed.

The container of salt will have directions to mix it so you won't have to worry about that.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think gsp might mean green spotted puffer in this case not green star polyps but I'm not sure. But +1 to what mebbid said.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
I think gsp might mean green spotted puffer in this case not green star polyps but I'm not sure. But +1 to what mebbid said.
I was wondering that, but the only gsp I was aware of is the green star polyps which is why I typed it out instead of using the acronym
Old 11-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go on YouTube and watch some of the videos by BRS TV. I prefer to see things being done rather than reading about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes I'm sorry I meant green spotted puffer, and I've been doing like non stop research and I think I have most of it down, one more thing I couldn't really find that is more green spotted puffer specific, when is it safe to add love rock to the tank with him? Should I go by salinity alone? Parameters are good
I'll check again Friday when I do a water change but they were all good on Monday

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Yes I'm sorry I meant green spotted puffer, and I've been doing like non stop research and I think I have most of it down, one more thing I couldn't really find that is more green spotted puffer specific, when is it safe to add love rock to the tank with him? Should I go by salinity alone? Parameters are good
I'll check again Friday when I do a water change but they were all good on Monday

Spell check, live* "live rock" lol

Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Well, from everything ive heard, green spotted puffers are generally really aggressive towards other fish.

That being said, you start with your rock in the tank, do a fishless cycle, and then add your fish.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Well, from everything ive heard, green spotted puffers are generally really aggressive towards other fish.

That being said, you start with your rock in the tank, do a fishless cycle, and then add your fish.
Yea i have read that and now im not really planning to put anything else in with him. but right now hes a baby and in freshwater. I want to slowly transition the tank he is in to be a full sw tank with live rocks and everything. so i understand in a normal tank you would make it saltwater and add live rock and cycle and all that good stuff, but im trying to take a cycled fw tank with the puffer in it and slowly transition the tank as a whole into a sw (probably fowlr) over the course of like 2-3 months
Old 11-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Yea i have read that and now im not really planning to put anything else in with him. but right now hes a baby and in freshwater. I want to slowly transition the tank he is in to be a full sw tank with live rocks and everything. so i understand in a normal tank you would make it saltwater and add live rock and cycle and all that good stuff, but im trying to take a cycled fw tank with the puffer in it and slowly transition the tank as a whole into a sw (probably fowlr) over the course of like 2-3 months
From everything I understand is that salt water beneficial bacteria is different than fresh water beneficial bacteria. I've been meaning to experiment with it, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I can't give you an answer whether it'd work or not.

Your best bet is to buy the rock and cycle it in a bucket for when it hits a salt water tank salinity level.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well thanks ill definitely keep that in mind, Ill keep everyone posted as i attempt to do this. I guess it can be a little experiment if it can be done.
my plan so far was
-begin adding salt this weekend
-also this weekend change the gravel to sand

-2nd weekend add a little more salt

-3rd weekend add more salt
-remove the anachris from the tank

-4th weekend salt
-remove the anubias and just have fake decorations

-5th weekend new lights and of course salt

-6th weekend add more salt
-also add live rock to a bucket?

-7th weekend add live rock to tank

I plan to add around .oo3-.004 salt everyweekend. and hopefully it will stay cycled throughout the entire process

Tags
ate, led, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, saltwater tanks, tan, tank, tanks, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com