first sps - birdsnest question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like ponapes birdsnest, is it greenish with purple tips? If so keep it in lower light to get good color. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post a picture of mine.

Everything you need is in your salt mix. There aren't any miracle cures in bottles.

speaking of which, if everything is in the reef crystal, why do people dose other supplements? the reason why i got the reef crystal was because it has the trace elements that are needed for corals, but the more i dig in into this subject, the more obvious or apparent that other people are dosing some expensive chemicals to promote proper growth on their corals.

The reason people dose (well, at least the ones who actually test their water), is because the trace elements are used up faster than weekly water changes can replace them. This only happens in tanks with a lot of stony coral. I see people dosing tanks with three or four 1" frags in them. It's completely unnecessary.

I agree with Doug. I dose (and measure) most things because I do not do a 10% weekly WC (15-18% every 3-4 weeks or so). If I did a more frequent or larger WC I would need less or no dosing. I don't do it because I do not subscribe to the myth that PWC will control nitrates/phosphates. It is just to replenish various elements, which I can do other ways.

The reason people dose (well, at least the ones who actually test their water), is because the trace elements are used up faster than weekly water changes can replace them. This only happens in tanks with a lot of stony coral. I see people dosing tanks with three or four 1" frags in them. It's completely unnecessary.

+1 agreed. Most people just need a good salt mix and weekly changes. If you start farming SPS coral and don't do the massive water exchanges, you must test and supplement as I do. The first approach is simpler and probably safer for the vast majority of tanks. As said, there is no magic potion out there that makes coral grow. Meeting their basic requirements is all that's needed. And using some common sense in what you tackle and your experience level.

+1 agreed. Most people just need a good salt mix and weekly changes. If you start farming SPS coral and don't do the massive water exchanges, you must test and supplement as I do. The first approach is simpler and probably safer for the vast majority of tanks. As said, there is no magic potion out there that makes coral grow. Meeting their basic requirements is all that's needed. And using some common sense in what you tackle and your experience level.

thanks Greg, its very nice and reassuring to have you respond to this thread right after i read your success with the gigantic corner tank

this is the frag sitting in my tank, now that i think about it, i do see small polyps on the branches. how long does it take to grow under T5 without supplement additives?
img_2664786_0_506e10b86bc16c1734f8b273927f8610.jpg

If i were you if you really want to do SPS try a monti digi, or a monti cap....i started with these then worked my way to birdsnest, then Milli's and now im starting to introduce acros. Another tip for SPS is if their usually green or red they are easy, any other color requires more work. About the dosing...many ppl dose kalkwasser b/c of how many corals they have, or the more expierenced dosing method is 2 part. Usually if you have miniscule corals you dont need to dose, but as you add more your alk and calcium start to drop faster than nitrates phosphates etc.... For example i dose 2 part every other day, i found out that my calcium and alk where getting absorbed by the corals faster than the nitrates, so now that i dose I only do WC when the nitrates or phosphates raise enough to it could hurt corals. Now since i dose it maintains constant parameters and helps corals grow faster, but as long as you dont have a abundance of corals monthly or weekly WC should do. Polyp extension is another thing that comes and goes. Ive seen SPS with amazing polyp ex that barley grow, and ive seen SPS with no extension and grow like crazy. Just b/c theres no extension doesnt mean the coral isnt doing well, for example my flame angel loves to sometimes get a little nip at my SPS but not enough to hurt it, he does make the corals polyps not extend sometimes but they still grow at a decent rate. I know i guy that lives near me with a ponape birdsnest the size of my head that has no ex whatsoever but it keeps growing like crazy. But if the coral is bleached thats a different story....but like a said theres many things that are different in everyones tank and you have to find out what it is.

Back
Top Bottom