First SW tank, do I have everything here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXclownin'

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all, after keeping freshwater cichlids for about 5 years im ready to move to salt water. I plan on starting out small with a left over tank and if I like it (when i like it) Ill move on up. My goals for this first tank through the summer (ill be moving in 3 months) are to get used to keeping track of the increased water parameters and do a fish only tank with possibly some live rock fragments. The parts list is below. Tell me what you think?

-1 Tank 24x12x18 ~23 gallons
-40lbs southdown sand for a 3 inch SB
-30lbs "best quality" hi rock
-possibly 10 lbs keys rock (might just do base only until the move)
-current usa sattelite powercompact 1x65 watt
-150 watt ebo jager heater
-penguin 330
-1 powerhead (reccomendations?)

planned stock list

-2 clowns
-a couple of compatible anemone (is 3 watts a gallon enough light?)

The only purchases will be the light (60 bucks) and the rock (50 bucks) so this seems like an inexpensive try at sw. Im aware ill still need salt mix and a good testing kit as well. Patience is the key so Im gonna use this little tank as my intro to the hobby. Any suggestions welcome.

-Jason

Well that sand won't provide any buffering for the water, and it'll compact easily. its usable, but not ideal. its not the same sand that's in the ocean.

3wpg might be enough light for a bubble tip anemone. Might.
however, adding an anemone isn't something you should even think about for, oh, 6-9 months. Its going to take that long for the tank to mature and really be stable.

Keep in mind the hirock will be dead base rock, and will have to slowly become live rock. it also won't have any pretty colors (coraline algae) unless you add live rock, or scrapings of coraline from live rock.

You want more powerheads so there will be less water deadspots where waste will collect. General rule is 10 x tank gallons = gallons/hour of flow needed. So for a 23g tank you want your powerheads to push out at least the total of 230gph. Maxijets makes good power heads.

You lighting will be so so for a bubble tip anemone which is one of the least light demanding anemones. It is recommended that your tank has matured before adding anemones

I just wanted some nice base rock to use in the future. Im guessing the clowns will just be fine with the rocks to swim around? Ill probably try to get some aragonite sand and 10 lbs of live rock to get the seeding process started. Within 3 months hopefully things will be ready to move to a 42 bow and ill have a jump on the process.

Right, clowns do not need an anemone host to survive in our tanks since we care for our fish and hopefully wont put any predators in. They might pick a coral or even a heater as a host. It's really up to each individual clown.

I personally think your going about it the right way. For a new person getting into the hobby with a 20g tank I would spend the least amount of money possible at first. I say this because if you like it you will want to "go big" as soon as you can afford it. My first tank was 20g and it got me through 3 months. I got a 100g and now have boosted its volume to over 250 gallons. Starting out with a little tank is going to teach you how to deal with problems, but to really learn I think that having high volume will set yourself up with room to play with chemistry but not seriously impact stability, and IMO thats the key to learning marine keeping. Play with a small tank if you like, it will always make a great species only or something later down the road, and likely look great sitting next to your big tank once your hooked.
Best of luck

The only purchases will be the light (60 bucks) and the rock (50 bucks) so this seems like an inexpensive try at sw.
This makes me laugh. I think that is what I told my wife :)

If money is a concern( wich it is for me) Plan on going slow and being jealous of all the tanks on this site that are a year old and look awesome.

Mine looks awesome, just not as awesome!

I Love the fact that you have a plan and starting small is a great way to go. I think you will quickly see that 40 gallons is not very big for SW. Remember that bow fronts look great, but are difficult to put lights on. Most need to be hung over the tank.

You should get a skimmer. Don't waste your time or money with a seaclone. Get a remora or bakpak and error on the larger size so you can step up in tank size. convertible from sump to HOB will allow you to upgrade also.

I started my 75 with 2 penguin 330's. I am a big fan because the the biowheel will minimize your ammonia spikes when adding livestock. I am currently down to one, because I fear that detrius will collect in them and cause higher nitrate levels, but I still like having the mechanical filtration. That junk has got to collect somewhere. Why not a place that you can rinse it out?

GO fishless on the cycle and be patient!

HTH

Here is my 10 gallon. I think there is about 20lbs of hi-rocks base rock in there. And 5lbs of live rock. With 2 clowns.

Attachments

• 10rock_963.jpg
    10rock_963.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 180
I plan on moving to a 46 bow once Im moved . I was kinda wondering how I was going to fit nice lights under the hood. It looks like the 36 inch 2X96 Current USA Satellite would fit. AR15, is a standard hood enough light to sustain the LR in your 10gal?

-Jason

Just a word of caution though. Smaller tanks the water parameters can change rapidly so anenomes are going to be a challenge to maintain top water quality. Your list seems fine, but hold off on the anenome until you are ready to move to a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom