First time to have lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lionfish14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read up alot on lionfish prior to purchaseing them and have read lots of different types of methods as far as feeding how to and what to feed them. I would like to know if anyone has any experiance with lionfish as far as what to feed them how to feed them and how often? Live food, dead food, shrimp , gold fish, ect ? Any help is much appreciated. Ty

I have read up alot on lionfish prior to purchaseing them and have read lots of different types of methods as far as feeding how to and what to feed them. I would like to know if anyone has any experiance with lionfish as far as what to feed them how to feed them and how often? Live food, dead food, shrimp , gold fish, ect ? Any help is much appreciated. Ty

I start the ones off at the lfs I work at with ghost shrimp and then work them onto frozen silversides. Then I try to get them to eat frozen mysis, etc... Don't feed goldfish, they are unhealthy and can lead to health issues.

I have a Volitan that came with my tank. It eats silversides and I sometimes cut up pieces of shrimp. The prior owner said it ate straight from the LFS, so he never had issues. I feed every other day usually one silverside or about half a shrimp.

I feed mine silversides. It's all it'll eat so far other than live fish, but haven't done that in a while to avoid disease. They grow pretty quickly too. Awesome fish! Enjoy!!
Here's a pic I mine.

image-140657954.jpg

I picked one up on sat so I'm interested to see this too. I have fed mine ghost shrimp so far as it would not take a chunk of fish I tried to feed it.

I had a dwarf fuzzy. Loved him. I'm under the school of thought where you try to match the fish's natural feeding state. Lion fish have slow metabolisms so feeding once every 3-4 days is what I did. Mine ate frozen from the start. The big thing is to mix up their diet. Lock jaw comes from a non balanced diet. Find a frozen pack that you like that has multiple options (or make your own) and all will be well.

I had a 13 inch lion for a very long time I got him when he was about 5 inches. When I first got him I fed live fish then I worked into to feeding him silversides then after a while he ate everything I put in the tank. (Including a 4 inch queen trigger when he was about 8 inches) they are great fish but make sure you get large fish to put I with him.

How do you get him onto silversides? How long would you expect it to take?

How do you get him onto silversides? How long would you expect it to take?
They are near sighted. The food needs to be within a few inches of them to smell it, then target it. I used forceps to deliver defrosted silversides directly in front of mine, then stand back.

Ummm I would say ease into it and feed live for a week or two then feed both for a week or two then just feed dead.

Ok tried mine on dead straight away to no availe but mine isn't whole fish due to lion being small so I was thinking of trying whole krill? He's on live ghost shrimp ATM so is eating

Thanks for tha help. Feeding live silversides now I would like to put them on a healthy diet. What would ya'll say a healthy diet for a lionfish is? Mixture of krill and shrimp and silversides?

Back
Top Bottom