FIrst timers - Brain Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 350 mag that runs Carb
If not cleaned/changed very often, it will trap food and detritus, causing a rise in NO3. GAC is only effective for about 7 days. After that it serves no purpose, only causes NO3 issues. Have you checked your source water for NO3? Maybe it's coming in w/ the PWC's. As Marc and Ziggy said, lights need to be replaced if they are a year + old. Also, keep temp stable. The most you want to see in a day is ~2 degree change, preferably less.
Star Polyp still has not opened. Now my mushroom has not opened in a few days either.
The water changes may be causing this. If your not matching up temp, PH, SG, and preferably Ca and Alk, exactly or close to it as possible, it will stress corals. Especially when doing larger and/or more frequent PWC's.

I am confused as to light changing. I keep reading on this stuff on this cite. If the light still work is that necessary? Do they not light up as bright and that is why they need to be changed? If I am changing my light bulbs should I be changing my lights to a different kind? One better then the other brand? less expensive? Better deal? last longer?

Thanks.

Your lights wear out over time. The light spectrum shifts and isn't as effective. When this happens your tank is susceptible to algae blooms and your corals wont get the light they need for growth and health. PC bulbs are good for about 8-10 months. I personally would replace them at the 8 month mark. It is part of the regular maintenance of a tank.

As ziggy said the lamps will shift K, and emit more light in/towards the red spectrum overtime. Those spectrums are not easily used by coral, but are good for nuisance algaes. The lamps loose intensity as well. As far as what kind of lamps, a 10 k and an actinic (blue) make a good combo IMO. It's partly a matter of personal preference. I used VHO's and the 10 k and actinic is a good mix of blue and white/yellow(~daylight) leaning a bit on the blue side to get more pop from fish, coral colors. I can't recommend any brands, I've never purchased PC lamps.

So we think that I should get a VHO light instead?

I use VHO lighting also. I have a super actinic and a 50/50. Pretty blueish light. My corals esp. my brain corals love it. You can view my tank and my gallery to get a look at the color and results.

mnlaw said:
So we think that I should get a VHO light instead?
I'm not sure if you know, but you will have to buy all new equipment if you did. There is nothing wrong w/ PC lights. They will enable you to keep the same corals as VHO watt per watt. Many people, including myself, prefer VHO for mainly aesthetic reasons. They make the tank and coral look better IMO. It's a personal choice, the lamps will last about the same amount of time for both. If our looking to improve your current lighting, look into T5 fluorescents or even better, MH.

I looked at the Polyps this a.m. and it has started to bloom. I'll be damned.

I will still look at different bulbs. I am just waiting to hear if you all think I should change my lights to a different kind. To what kind?

I will wait for a response.

Devilishturtles said:
I agree. Give the star polyps a few days. Mine took about 4 days to fully open up, I wouldn't worry for now.

Star polyps are really irritated by debris and substrate. At first I placed a colony on the substrate--were fine for a couple of days and then didn't open for a week--placed them on the rock--they opened up the next day.

Another time I was using a turkey baster to clean the live rock off--they didn't open up for 8 days! They also love a good current.
Tangster

PC`s are OK but if you wanted to upgrade then the T5`s and MH`s that MT mentioned are good.

Back
Top Bottom