first water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dramsfan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 240+ gallon tank that has just cycled. I am ready to start adding my fish. I have coral sand, a little live rock, and some fake look-a-like corals. When I change my water, do I need to remove and clean sand? My fish guy says I should do this + wash off everything in tank. I know I will probably get a bunch of different answers but bring them on. I am all ears.[/img]

Attachments

• dsc03648_450.jpg
    dsc03648_450.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 30
You dont take all the water out just 10-20% and replace with fresh salt water. Leave your sand alone. What are you using for filtration in that big tank. Your fish guy sounds like he just came from the food service industry. Scrap him for someone who knows what they are talking about.

melosu58 said:
You dont take all the water out just 10-20% and replace with fresh salt water. Leave your sand alone. What are you using for filtration in that big tank. Your fish guy sounds like he just came from the food service industry. Scrap him for someone who knows what they are talking about.
Sorry, I plan on doing about 5 gallons a week, maybe 10. For me its easier to do it once a week than all at once. I was more interested in if I should remove and clean sand more than anything.

I agree do not disturb the sand anymore than you have to. Since you do not have LR what are you using for filtration? Do you have a skimmer?

Brenden said:
I agree do not disturb the sand anymore than you have to. Since you do not have LR what are you using for filtration? Do you have a skimmer?
O.k. I am mister newbie here. The water flows through a gate, onto 2 pads (blue and white) and over about 50 or so bio-balls. drops into a sump and is pumped back into my tank. Is this a skimmer? I have no idea. However, my water quality is excellent and the tank is beautifull. I really cant wait to start adding my keeper fish.

Get a clean up crew to take care of the sand. 5 gallon change on a 240 + will not be enough to replenish your tank as well as removing nutrients and DOC. You never said what type of filtration. In my experience that has been about 9 years. LR and skimmer has been the only way. Also 10% PWC every week. all these are IMO and IME.

think of partial water changes like your car insurance (i.e. you pay it and in case something goes wrong you are covered, in case of the tank, if you dont do them a little problem could lead to a catastrophee ( i know i didnt spell that right, but you get the point, lol) live rock has the same principal, the more insurance the better (1 - 1.5 lbs per gallon)...........

It sounds like the way he described his filtration he has a wet dry system. You can make it with a wet dry. They are known as nitrate factories. You just need to do a regular schedule PWC and more than 5 or 10 gallon. More like 10-15%. Your tank looks good now but if you let those nitrates build up and eventually you will have problems. Seen it many times IME

dramsfan said:
I am ready to start adding my fish.
If that's a photo of the tank, I see lots of fish in it already :?

Go slowly, get a cleanup crew, let things settle for a month or so before adding fish.

you should look into getting more live rock. You should have a min of 1lb per gallon, what are your plans for this tank? Reef, fish only??
Add not other fish till your tank matures more, you already have a bunch of damsels in there, just so you know damsels are mean fish and may injure new fish added to there tank.
take some time to read some posts and articles on this site so you learn about the hobby.
Take things slow and tell us what equipment you have, if your not sure post some pics of the setup and we'll help you out.
Cleaning sand is not needed, you may need to clean those fake/dead corals if algae builds up on them. but cleaning them will/may kill off beneficial bacteria. In a 240 you will need to do a larger water change the 5 gals.

The sand is where your beneficial bacteria live and reproduce....

Those damsles are not easy fish to capture either. I would definitely take them out (if you want to add other fish later) before you add any LR to the tank.

Not to sound mean but you really need to do a lot of research. It sounds like you are getting some horrid advice. Also, are you saying you have a crushed coral substrate? That type of substrate and the wet dry is going to require LOTS of maintenance. FO tanks can take higher nitrates but you may be biting off more than you can chew.

Also, you will definitely need to do bigger water changes (as has already been stated). We are talking about 24 gallons per week or 48 gallons every two weeks. No kidding.

Scrimp on maintenance or water changes and 6 months from now you will be wanting to sell that tank in a garage sale.

demodiki said:
Those damsles are not easy fish to capture either. I would definitely take them out (if you want to add other fish later) before you add any LR to the tank.

Not to sound mean but you really need to do a lot of research. It sounds like you are getting some horrid advice. Also, are you saying you have a crushed coral substrate? That type of substrate and the wet dry is going to require LOTS of maintenance. FO tanks can take higher nitrates but you may be biting off more than you can chew.

Also, you will definitely need to do bigger water changes (as has already been stated). We are talking about 24 gallons per week or 48 gallons every ywo weeks. No kidding.

Scrimp on maintenance or water changes and 6 months from now you will be wanting to sell that tank in a garage sale.
actually, I am doin g 20 gallons a week. I have a clean up crew of snails starfish and urchins. I am not going to put 240 pds of live rock in. I have about 10 pds now and plan on adding a little more. I took the damsels back and put a couple of fish in. I plan on a easy to moderate tank. Thanks for the advice I will take all I can get.

Back
Top Bottom