Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

First water change help

Hi guys; I'm about to do my first water change in a couple of hours.. i made my own salt water with natures ocean salt mix and i was wondering if i needed to actually heat the water thats going in my tank. i know you HAVE to do it when you have fish,corals,inverts but all i have is live rock and one little snail hitchhiker in there. Also i was wondering how much of a water change i should do for the first one.. i have a TON of diatoms and the water is cloudy...

Thank you for your help (:

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of water are you using to mix? You could get away with not heating this time but I would do it anyway, you will need to get into the habit of doing it when you have livestock. As for how big a change, I take it you've just finished your cycle? What are your nitrates at? Usually you would have high nitrates at the end of the cycle so a large water change is needed - perhaps 30 -40% ? Depends on your readings...

Old 03-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If the water is cloudy, i would do a pretty large change also. BTW, you should really let the water mix overnight (and in that time be heated) with livestock present.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My nitrates were at 40 ppm so i did a 30% water change and i do know about mixing the water and letting it sit over night . I am going to start doing that i just need to go buy a large container for it. My water is starting to clear up a lot. The water change was needed. Thank you guys for your help!

Tags
ate, change, water, water change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com