Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Fish additions..

I have a 3 yr old tank (100 gallon) with about 150-175 lbs of LR. I have corals and have a regal tang, 1 yellow tailed damsel, and 1 false perc.
I am wanting to get more fish soon. Some of the items I think would look great are: some firefish, wrasse, yellow tang, and a Kole eye tang.
Would you guys recommend these and in what order. Also any other fish that would be good additions?
Thanks

Old 01-30-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to thefishguy
I would go with the yellow tang, a lot of people have them but they are beutiful fish especially when they extend their fins all of the way. you might consider a flame angel or coral beuty, both very colorful

thefishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the yellow tang, firefish and sixline wrasse from your list. I do not see anything that may cause aggression in that list. I would add the yellow tang last. The dwarf angels are colorful but are hit and miss with corals. With that said I do have a coral beauty that has caused no problems "yet" but know of several people that had to remove them.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I also forgot to add to the possibilities a salfin tang..
Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

A sailfin(up to 15") is a much larger fish than the yellow(up to 8"). A 100 gal is small for them. Some will tell you it is OK as long as you do not keep it into adulthood. (I do not agree with that) If you are considered a yellow and sailfin together you will definitely have aggression problems. Tangs are my favorite fish. Ever considered a convict? I have all that you have mentioned. Great fish(convict has best personality out of all of them.)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Forgot to add have you considered a foxface?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My sailfin is my favorite fish. He has so much personality! And loves to play with my hands when they're in the tank. Very curious. BUT he's by himself in a 150g stock tank with no rock so he has lots of room to swim and grow. I wouldn't put him in my 120 any sooner than I'd put him in your 100. Yellows are very popular, but too common, IMO. I'd rather have the convict or a purple tang and again I'd add them last.

Rather than a six line (agressive and I'd add him last too) I'd get a filamented flasher or a scott's fairy wrasse. Ideally I'd have a Lineatus Fairy Wrasse, but I'm not ready to shell that out just yet.

Just make sure that with the wrasses you have all escape routes blocked or they will jump.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have never seen either of my sixlines act aggressive towards anything?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well just chalk it up to personal experience then. I've heard lots of stories of people getting rid of these for that reason though.

Here's a quote from a thread elsewhere:

theop says:
"The main difference between the sixline and eightline is that the 8 gets larger. While the eightline is listed as more aggressive, they are both very similar.

There are numerous threads about sixline wrasses being aggressive towards more peaceful fish and other wrasses. My sixline is only slightly aggressive, but has eaten some small peppermint shrimp in my tank."

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How about a mandarin? Certainly have the rock for it and they are very cool. Also, my six-line is awesome and has been very peacfull for over a year now.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com