Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
Ill check right now. I usually check after I turn the lights on, and my lights are off right now so maybe it's lower. What would u consider a significant pH swing that would cause death?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
PH swing enough to cause death. I have never heard of such a thing.

Is this indeed possible and if so what would cause such a thing?
Not saying it is not something that could happen but have never heard of it.
Still learning and curious.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #22
Fel
Aquarium Advice Regular

Depends on where it goes, if it's going from 8->9 that's much worse than going from 8->7 because it's a logarithmic scale. if this is happening however it's more important to address it by figuring out what's causing it and making sure you have enough of a buffer.

Keep in mind it may not directly kill the fish but rather never lets your new fish acclimate to the water conditions which would in turn stress them and leave them vulnerable to disease.

Edit: keep in mind I'm just throwing the idea out there as a possible cause, and let's face it it's super easy to check.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Old 07-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Do you have tests for other compounds besides nitrogen based?

It is possible that elements like copper are present in your tap water at high enough concentrations to impact the life in the system.

This is mute if your using ro/di but didn't see that mentioned in your post.

If don't have most LFS that sell saltwater fish can test your water for you. Mine requires a sample for their 48hour return policy.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemach7 View Post
Do you have tests for other compounds besides nitrogen based?

It is possible that elements like copper are present in your tap water at high enough concentrations to impact the life in the system.

This is mute if your using ro/di but didn't see that mentioned in your post.

If don't have most LFS that sell saltwater fish can test your water for you. Mine requires a sample for their 48hour return policy.

I use natural salt water from a store and RO water. I've tested the RO water, it has zero nitrates, ammonia, nitrites

Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel View Post
Depends on where it goes, if it's going from 8->9 that's much worse than going from 8->7 because it's a logarithmic scale. if this is happening however it's more important to address it by figuring out what's causing it and making sure you have enough of a buffer.

Keep in mind it may not directly kill the fish but rather never lets your new fish acclimate to the water conditions which would in turn stress them and leave them vulnerable to disease.

Edit: keep in mind I'm just throwing the idea out there as a possible cause, and let's face it it's super easy to check.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Okay so when the lights are on, my pH is 8.0, and when the lights are off, it's 7.8. Is that enough to cause stress? I usually leave the lights on two-four hours a day

Old 07-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are 15 ppm nitrates bad for a FOWLR

Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #27
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Hi, so I've had a 65 gallon FOWLR fish tank for 1 year 6 months

My parameters are
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10-15 ppm
PH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025
Your parameters are in the safe range for a FOWLR (BUT) some fish are more sensitive than others , even though you have a FOWLR try getting your parameters closer to 0,
Always be sure you drip acclimate your stock , are you QTing your fish this is the best way to find if they are eating or not , sometimes you will find that the parameters from the fish store either higher or lower , never add fish to fast ,in either QT or main tank
you had a coral beauty did you supply him with nori or some type of macro algae,
as they are herbivorous, are you sure that he didn't starve, was he bullied by a tank mate there can be many factors

Quote:
Okay so when the lights are on, my pH is 8.0, and when the lights are off, it's 7.8. Is that enough to cause stress? I usually leave the lights on two-four hours a day

that is normal for ph to get lower as lights are out
Old 07-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
Your parameters are in the safe range for a FOWLR (BUT) some fish are more sensitive than others , even though you have a FOWLR try getting your parameters closer to 0,
Always be sure you drip acclimate your stock , are you QTing your fish this is the best way to find if they are eating or not , sometimes you will find that the parameters from the fish store either higher or lower , never add fish to fast ,in either QT or main tank
you had a coral beauty did you supply him with nori or some type of macro algae,
as they are herbivorous, are you sure that he didn't starve, was he bullied by a tank mate there can be many factors

that is normal for ph to get lower as lights are out

I do drip acclimate, but I can't afford a QT. no bullies, I've never seen any aggressive behavior in my tank, they're all peaceful. My coral beauty refused to eat nori or any plant matter I gave him even though I added garlic, but he ate brine, bloodworms, and mysis and picked algae off the rocks.

My fish just seem to get sick and the die it's really sad. Do you think I might not have enough biological filtration? Should I get some Rotifers or coepods or whatnot

Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish always dying!!!

If your ammonia and nitrites are zero, then your biological filtration is probably okay. Do t add several fish at once and there should be no problem.

Have these fish shown any signs of disease or exhibited and strange behaviors?

Also...coral beauties (and most Angels) are omnivorous, not herbivores. Meaty foods and some greens are fine. Food with sponge in it every once and a while is even better.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:34 PM   #30
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

you said your tank is over a year old so I don't see why it wouldn't
I'm sure you have them , just don't see them in the rocks
most dwarf angels are sensitive , I always find small ones around a inch fair better for some odd reason
red grape macro they will tear it up glue or use small rubber bands to attach to a few pieces to small rocks in the sand bed and add a few pieces between rocks up higher , it will attach eventually putting it in several spots will give it a chance to grow , most of my fish love it , must be a tasty treat

Quote:
coral beauties (and most Angels)are omnivorous, not herbivores
opps got ahead of myself typing
Thanks for the correction

Tags
dyi, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com