Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Fish always dying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemach7 View Post
This could be a combination of things which is why it's so hard to pin down.

1 perhaps upon initial release to the tank fish experience a PH shock. And leaves them vulnerable to disease and stress.
2 your tank may have some form of disease or chemical in the water column.
3 already stressed fish are more vulnerable to changes in water chemistry.(drops in salinity, temporary raises in nitrates, change in temperature, change in ph).
4 some of the purchased fish could have already been sick.

As part of narrowing down would: lengthen your drip acclimation. As well as add only 1 fish every 2-4 weeks as you stated this is the timeframe you said you are losing them.

If your buying from LFS see if you can purchase and they hold the fish at the LFS for a period of time and will act as your quarantine.

Test the water at the LFS before you purchase and match their PH in your tank.

Not sure was mentioned but do you have a Calcium test? The massive amount of coraline algae could indicate values well above what would be found in the ocean and this can effect fish.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If it was disease or chemicals, do you think my clown would also be dead?

I don't have a calcium testing kit, I'll bring some water to test to my lfs. Should I test for akilinity? Idk if this makes a difference, but the only thing I add to my water is a buffer, I don't add any magnesium or calcium or iodine etc. btw, I've never heard of calcium levels killing fish?

I drip for an hour to an hour and a half. I'll test for pH to make sure it is the same, I usually don't and I realize that mistake now


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Wow there is a lot going on here. In an attempt to condense information let me try to summarize.

The fish that were lost are 5 Bangaii Cardinals, 2 fox faces, Chromis, and a coral beauty

The fish last approximately 4 weeks before passing away
  • Tank has been set up for over a year
  • Drip acclimation of fish for 1 hour
  • No Cleaning chemicals used on or near the tank
  • pH is stable at approximately 8.0 (drops to 7.8 at night)
  • No ammonia / nitrites
  • 10 - 15ish nitrates
  • API Saltwater Master test kit
  • Coral Beauty appeared to have died from Lymphocytis
  • Fox Face appeared to die of flukes
  • Cardinals seemed to die for no reason
  • Fish were from 5 different LFS
  • No heater
  • Running a Skimmer and sump
  • Water is from natural salt water and RO
  • Low oxygen is ruled out
  • Dipping or pouring RO water onto rocks (No longer doing this)
  • Stir up surface sand to get rid of algae
  • Carbon is ran
  • 30% monthly water change
  • Carbon Replacement every 4 months

Is there anything that I missed?
__________________

__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
If it was disease or chemicals, do you think my clown would also be dead?

I drip for an hour to an hour and a half. I'll test for pH to make sure it is the same, I usually don't and I realize that mistake now
Also make sure to match the temp. Dripping for an hour really isn't much depending on how fast you're dripping. I generally double the volume of the water 3 times when I'm dripping anything. I empty out half the water each time when I do this. After the 3rd time I check the pH and salinity before making sure the temperature matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
I have a pump and skimmer (no heater because they aren't any annual temperature swings that affect my tank more than one or two degrees) could be that, how can I check?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
What does the temperature of your tank run?
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #54
Fish R friends, not food!
 
spoonman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 3,720
What do you mean by "the water is from natural salt water"? Is it from the ocean?
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
gemach7's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 607
Fish always dying!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
If it was disease or chemicals, do you think my clown would also be dead?

I don't have a calcium testing kit, I'll bring some water to test to my lfs. Should I test for akilinity? Idk if this makes a difference, but the only thing I add to my water is a buffer, I don't add any magnesium or calcium or iodine etc. btw, I've never heard of calcium levels killing fish?

I drip for an hour to an hour and a half. I'll test for pH to make sure it is the same, I usually don't and I realize that mistake now


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was the clown fish captive bred? I find caught fish and those bred from caught fish are more susceptible to stress from changing tank parameters At least my experience with freshwater fish.

Calcium levels effect the hardness of the water too little and ph isn't stable. Extremely high levels of calcium is enough to kill fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
gemach7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Wow there is a lot going on here. In an attempt to condense information let me try to summarize.

The fish that were lost are 5 Bangaii Cardinals, 2 fox faces, Chromis, and a coral beauty

The fish last approximately 4 weeks before passing away
  • Tank has been set up for over a year
  • Drip acclimation of fish for 1 hour
  • No Cleaning chemicals used on or near the tank
  • pH is stable at approximately 8.0 (drops to 7.8 at night)
  • No ammonia / nitrites
  • 10 - 15ish nitrates
  • API Saltwater Master test kit
  • Coral Beauty appeared to have died from Lymphocytis
  • Fox Face appeared to die of flukes
  • Cardinals seemed to die for no reason
  • Fish were from 5 different LFS
  • No heater
  • Running a Skimmer and sump
  • Water is from natural salt water and RO
  • Low oxygen is ruled out
  • Dipping or pouring RO water onto rocks (No longer doing this)
  • Stir up surface sand to get rid of algae
  • Carbon is ran
  • 30% monthly water change
  • Carbon Replacement every 4 months

Is there anything that I missed?

You got everything


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Also make sure to match the temp. Dripping for an hour really isn't much depending on how fast you're dripping. I generally double the volume of the water 3 times when I'm dripping anything. I empty out half the water each time when I do this. After the 3rd time I check the pH and salinity before making sure the temperature matches.



What does the temperature of your tank run?

I float the bag with the fish in my tank for 15 minutes before I drip for an hour. I check salinity, but I don't check pH which I'm going to start doing as of now.


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
What do you mean by "the water is from natural salt water"? Is it from the ocean?

Yup


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemach7 View Post
Was the clown fish captive bred? I find caught fish and those bred from caught fish are more susceptible to stress from changing tank parameters At least my experience with freshwater fish.

Calcium levels effect the hardness of the water too little and ph isn't stable. Extremely high levels of calcium is enough to kill fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah captive bred ocellaris clown. If my pH levels are stable (7.8 at night, 8.0 during the day), can we rule out calcium?


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Nat_a126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 356
I'm gonna do a 30% water change today. I also added 3 1/2 lbs of live rock for more hiding places. My lfs tested my water just so I can be sure I'm reading the colors right, and they got the same exact results as me. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436365073.800134.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	274893


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
Nat_a126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dyi, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mystery Snails Always Dying?? MaffooJ Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 03-21-2014 05:55 PM
guppy fry always end up dying from clamped fins... NEED MAJOR HELP! caykuu Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 07-28-2012 11:45 PM
Turbo snails always flipping over and dying limitup Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 10 08-21-2004 07:37 PM
Fish are dying, dying and then dying reefobsessed Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 5 03-26-2004 01:30 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.