Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I'm gonna have to suggest you stop using ocean water, there could be toxins or bacteria near the shore that you're adding to the tank and not testing for. Do you test your salinity? Myself, I'd do like a 50% water change using saltwater I made from a mix and RO water to start off with. Hopefully things havn't leached into your rock?

Your coralline algae is pretty intense. That dark purple looks amazing but may indicate you have really high levels of calcium in the water as that's what feeds coralline.

If you start using something like instant ocean salt and RO water during water changes you may find you've fixed the problem...

Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
I'm gonna have to suggest you stop using ocean water, there could be toxins or bacteria near the shore that you're adding to the tank and not testing for. Do you test your salinity? Myself, I'd do like a 50% water change using saltwater I made from a mix and RO water to start off with. Hopefully things havn't leached into your rock?

Your coralline algae is pretty intense. That dark purple looks amazing but may indicate you have really high levels of calcium in the water as that's what feeds coralline.

If you start using something like instant ocean salt and RO water during water changes you may find you've fixed the problem...

I've gotten the ocean water from 5 different fish stores, I just switched to a new store like two months ago because of convenience. Yup I test, salinity is 1.025. The store that I buy my saltwater from are able to keep sea horses, corals, and fish and they use the same water, so is that ruled out?

I get my RO water from publix

Quick question: how does calcium levels get really high? I never dose, so is it just found in the water from the ocean? I haven't seen any calcified stuff on my equipment if that helps. I'll test it out anyways just to make sure. I heard 400ppm should be the levels? What should my akilinity be?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-08-2015, 03:20 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would a temperature difference of two-three degrees when I change water be bad? When I do a water change, my tank drops from 79 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit

Old 07-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat_a126 View Post
I've gotten the ocean water from 5 different fish stores, I just switched to a new store like two months ago because of convenience. Yup I test, salinity is 1.025. The store that I buy my saltwater from are able to keep sea horses, corals, and fish and they use the same water, so is that ruled out?

I get my RO water from publix

Quick question: how does calcium levels get really high? I never dose, so is it just found in the water from the ocean? I haven't seen any calcified stuff on my equipment if that helps. I'll test it out anyways just to make sure. I heard 400ppm should be the levels? What should my akilinity be?

Alkalinity2.5-4 meq/L
7-11 dKH
125-200 ppm CaCO3 equivalent

Old 07-08-2015, 07:20 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Fish always dying!!!

Guys I think I know what's wrong! My calcium was 400 ppm, but my alk was 37! I just bought a KH test and a buffer.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post

There are more than a few companies that collect sea water, clean & sterilize it and sells the water to lfs's. If your store has one or more of those huge tanks for water, that is what it is.

I garuntee that every lfs that sells ready-to-use salt water, it is water collected from the ocean.
You don't seriously think these stores are mixing up 1500 gallons of salt mix just to sell. If that were the case water would be a couple bucks a gallon.
I pay about .45 per gallon, cheaper than if I mixed it myself.

here is the company that most likely supplies the store I frequent.
Aquarium Salt Water | Real Ocean Saltwater | Commercial Saltwater | Buy Saltwater
It isn't as if some guy is going to the beach with buckets.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
There are more than a few companies that collect sea water, clean & sterilize it and sells the water to lfs's. If your store has one or more of those huge tanks for water, that is what it is.

I garuntee that every lfs that sells ready-to-use salt water, it is water collected from the ocean.
You don't seriously think these stores are mixing up 1500 gallons of salt mix just to sell. If that were the case water would be a couple bucks a gallon.
I pay about .45 per gallon, cheaper than if I mixed it myself.

here is the company that most likely supplies the store I frequent.
Aquarium Salt Water | Real Ocean Saltwater | Commercial Saltwater | Buy Saltwater
It isn't as if some guy is going to the beach with buckets.
The stores in my area mix their own.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
The stores in my area mix their own.
you sure?
how much do they sell it for because mixing it themselves seems not very profitable.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question: yesterday at my lfs, a woman tested my water and told me it came out as 2 dKH. She told me that's why my fish have been dying. I just did a water change, and I tested my water afterwords. It came out as 9 dKH.

Is this just because I did a water change, and my KH went up? How does KH levels decrease?

Old 07-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
you sure?
how much do they sell it for because mixing it themselves seems not very profitable.
I think it all depends on the area you are talking about. Back in the day we had a company that went to the ocean to collect water then delivered it to us. We in turn held it in a 1k gal container and pumped it through filters ( UV and cartridge types) before we put it into our systems. That was in FL. I went to a supplier of ours in CA, a rather large concern at that, and was amazed that he mixed all his own water for his systems. I saw the salt, the mixing container and one of his employees doing it so there was no doubt. So again, it all depends on location. Not everybody has the same options.

Tags
dyi, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com