Fish always dying!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nat_a126

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, so I've had a 65 gallon FOWLR fish tank for 1 year 6 months

My parameters are
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 10-15 ppm
PH: 8.0
Salinity: 1.025

I currently have
-1 ocellaris clown
-3 nassarius snails
-1 dying coral beauty that's refusing to eat now after having him for 3 weeks :(

Most of my fish last about 4 weeks before passing, expect my clown.
I've had 5 Cardinal bangaiis that died one after another, a one spot fox face that refused to eat and died, another fox face that died of flukes, and chromis.

I feed mysis, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and herbivore blends for any fish that eats seaweed/algae every other day.

I have a bioball sump with a octopus skimmer, 51 lbs of live rock, and 50 lbs of sand.

I drip acclimate

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I want my fish to last more than a month :( ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436153081.395454.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It says near the bottom drip acclimation is performed. My question is how long are you acclimating them?

Caleb

About an hour
Do you think it would be that my acclimation is wrong? If they pass, they tend to die about 2-4 weeks after I add them in

Are you buying them off the internet? Fish that have been shipped recently are usually more stressed

Sounds like PH/salinity shock.

When I drip acclimate, I always make sure salinity is the same when I add any fish in. I should probably start testing for pH, but I just assumed that the pH would be the same after acclimating for an hour :(

About an hour
Do you think it would be that my acclimation is wrong? If they pass, they tend to die about 2-4 weeks after I add them in

IMO that's a short acclimation. I drip all my saltwater (and some freshwater) critters at least 2 hours. 3 for inverts.

I'll let the more knowledgeable salty guys take a swing though.

Caleb

What are you using to test your parameters? Maybe those are not accurate?

Are these fish showing any signs of disease?

IMO that's a short acclimation. I drip all my saltwater (and some freshwater) critters at least 2 hours. 3 for inverts.

I'll let the more knowledgeable salty guys take a swing though.

Caleb

Alright thank you! Do you still think it could be acclimation causing their death a month later?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using to test your parameters? Maybe those are not accurate?

Are these fish showing any signs of disease?

I'm using the API Marine Test.

The coral beauty seemed to have lymphocytis, and I think he got a secondary infection from it. :(
(He just died this morning)
I've had one just never start eating and another die from flukes despite treatment.

And my cardinals just became weak and died with no sign of disease.

Sounds more like sick and weak fish from the lfs than anything, rather than improper acclimation.

Alright any ways to get pass this? I've tried 5 different lfs already ugh and I try to pick healthy fish they tend to get sick about two weeks in. My parents aren't gonna let me get a quarantine tank ?

Have you checked your pH at different times throughout the day? Maybe your haveing large pH swings over short periods of time.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Maybe electric shock?

I have a pump and skimmer (no heater because they aren't any annual temperature swings that affect my tank more than one or two degrees) could be that, how can I check?

Have you checked your pH at different times throughout the day? Maybe your haveing large pH swings over short periods of time.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk

Ill check right now. I usually check after I turn the lights on, and my lights are off right now so maybe it's lower. What would u consider a significant pH swing that would cause death?

Back
Top Bottom