Fish compatability...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently placed a regal tang and velvet dottieback in with 2 false percs (nemo), a yellow tailed damsel, and a yellow wrasse. At first I thought the damsel was going to be a little irritated but has taken to both of his new tank mates. Up until last night I thought everyone was getting along. I did a water change in the 125 they are in, and afterwards the larger of the percs (I assume the female) started chasing the regal. Both the regal and the nemo are about the same size. The nemo doesnt nip at the regals tail or fins, she opens her mouth and appears to "mouth" him on his side....its weird. You can tell she is trying to chase him off from her area but didnt do this until last night. I turned the lights on this morning and she seemed a little better with the regal so far. Also appears she doesnt want the regal anywhere near her man!! Anyone have any thoughts on this? I assume this is temporary and will pass? Are they just establishing a pecking order? I just thought it weird that the damsel is ok with everyone but the nemo isnt.....
Thanks

they sound ok. i wouldnt sweat it too much...as long as the fighting is less. watch them carefully and see who seems to be instigating then find out why. maybe you can change that. but clowns dont usually fight with tangs

I dont see that anyone is instigating it...The regal will stay to one side of the tank and for no reason the clown wanders over to him, and starts picking on him....then swims off. Like I said its not the normal biting that most fish do....its like he is just nudging him with an open mouth....very strange. OR the regal will swim from one side of the tank to the other and the clown will just attack him....Its just weird that its been 4 days since I put the regal in there and no fighting until now.

Heres an update...I got to looking in my tank and noticed I was missing my yellow wrasse for a couple of days now...Looked behind the tank and found him dead on the floor. Appears he jumped out of the tank while I was cleaning it the other night...SO could the clown be trying to take over as the boss of the tank since the wrasse is gone and was the biggest in the tank before? The clown and the regal are about the same size.
I watched the regal and clown last night and the clown for no reason swims from the middle of the tank to the regal who is swimming next to the far wall and just starts picking on him....no reason as all. The clown is in the corner this morning and not bothering the regal so I dont know what to think....But the clown does still seem annoyed with the regal. Whats the time frame for them getting accustomed to one another? Dont undersatand this for sure....Anyone have any thoughts?

Heres an update...I got to looking in my tank and noticed I was missing my yellow wrasse for a couple of days now...Looked behind the tank and found him dead on the floor. Appears he jumped out of the tank while I was cleaning it the other night...SO could the clown be trying to take over as the boss of the tank since the wrasse is gone and was the biggest in the tank before? The clown and the regal are about the same size.
I watched the regal and clown last night and the clown for no reason swims from the middle of the tank to the regal who is swimming next to the far wall and just starts picking on him....no reason as all. The clown is in the corner this morning and not bothering the regal so I dont know what to think....But the clown does still seem annoyed with the regal. Whats the time frame for them getting accustomed to one another? Dont undersatand this for sure....Anyone have any thoughts?

Another note in case your interested. The clown as of last night was still picking on the regal. The regal still looks the same so he isnt hurting him. BUT I put a throw blanket over one end of the tank and immediatley they quit fighting. I have it drapped over the top of the canopy and over the end of the tank....I dont know if they think they are in another area now, but the clown has not picked on the regal yet in about 18 hours. So if you ever have fish quarreling - try this!!

Back
Top Bottom