Fish Compatabilty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seacat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a Blue Damsel. And i was just wondering if clown fish (true percs) would be okay with him, because my mom is freaking out about the damsel because at a lfs they told her that they are mean, and will kill about every fish you put with them exept a yellow tang. but that doesnt even matter because a yellow tank is too big for my 20 gallon tank. any help is greatly appreciated

What type of blue damsel (species?) a yellow tail or Fiji devil?

If the yellow tail you'll be fine, they are quite meek when it gets down to it. If a Fiji devil, you probabely won't be able to keep anything with it.

Cheers
Steve

i had 3 blue damsels to start cycling my tank. i took them out and put 2 percs, a royal gramma, and a banggai cardinal.....damsels may look nice, but they're really aggressive. i don't think it's worth the risk. just give it back to the lfs....

but when i put the percs into the new tank the damsel will also be going in since he is in my qt right now. so i thought that he wouldnt fight with them because they are all going into a new tank at the same time, so they would all have to get use to each other. i cant really give it back to the lfs because its about 1 hour away from where i live. but we have a lfs that is opening there saltwater tanks in about a week so maybe i will see if they would like to take him off my hands. o ya i was also wondering do you think that other blue damsels would be okay if the percs dont work. thanks

I would take the damsels back and get a couple of chromis. As small as these damsels are, they intimidate fish sometimes to the point of stress. I have a couple in my tank (1 yellow tail, 1 fiji devil) and they tried to bully my Niger Trigger when I put him in. Mean little bugers!

Mike

yep, i suggest you wait a week so you can return the damsel. there's a chance he'll co-exist with the percs, but he may still get crazy over time. clowns can be pretty feisty too, considering they come from the same family as the damsels.....but i still suggest that you take out the damsel to minimize stress and aggression.....

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom