fish compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barracuda

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just wondering if anyone thinks I will have a problem combining these fish in my 50 gallon(3ft.) tank. 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 firefish(magnifica), 2 purple firefish(decora), 1 royal gramma, and 1 flame angel? eventually i'd like to add a purple tang in 6 months to a year or maybe a mandarin if I feel I can keep it alive! and no I won't be adding them all in at once, I have the clowns now with blue leg hermits and turbo snails. I have about 50 lbs of LR and plan on adding about 25 more lbs. running 2 powerheads and a protien skimmer. Thanks for any advice

i think less fish but those with personality would be a better choice i also think that is 2 many fish for a 50.

The tang, is out of the question. Way to small of a tank. I think you would be ok if you skip the angel, or the gramma.

The tang, is out of the question. Way to small of a tank.

Yea, I think even if the tank was empty it would be too small. I thought they were recommending a 75 or 90 for the tang. Is that correct? I was wrong it's recommeding a 70.

I would also not suggest a dragonet in anything smaller than a 90-100 gal tank with well over 1 lb/gal LR and a well matured pod population. A 50 gal tank will not be able to sustain it for long unless a large refugium was incorporated into the plan.

justmy2cents said:
I thought they were recommending a 75 or 90 for the tang. Is that correct? I was wrong it's recommeding a 70
The 75 gal or larger tank is best for most tang species. The key being a 4 ft or longer tank.

Cheers
Steve

barracuda said:
ok, so if i skip the tang and the dragonet will that be ok, or do you think its still to many fish?

It's not only the amount of fish but also how well each will co-exist. You do not necessarily have compatability issues but the firefish are extremely skiddish and will not do well in a tank with active/boisterous species. They eventually spend most or their time in hiding if so and often starve due to feight.

If you opt for the first three:
barracuda said:
50 gallon(3ft.) tank. 2 ocellaris clowns, 2 firefish(magnifica), 2 purple firefish(decora),
I would suggest looking for another small peacefull fish as these will put you at the edge of safely stocking a 50 gal tank.

If you skip the firefish (a better choice IMO) you could get the gramma and possibley a dwarf angel if this will not be a reef tank. You could also look into fairy/carpenter wrasses, blennies, dottybacks and non sand sifting gobies. Although the last three may not mix well with the gramma.

Cheers
Steve

thanks again everyone, geez this is so much more difficult than cichlids are! :? I guess I'll just have to get rid of them and turn the 130 gl into a saltwater tank!

A 130?! Wow Barracuda, If I were you I would make that 130 into a marine tank and make the 50 for the cichlids! It would look so AWESOME dude like Johnny Bravo! He Rocks!!!!

Then you could get that cool looking Mandarin Dragnet and the Purple Tang you wanted. That's what you really want right? Go for it man. Johnny Bravo would because he's the MAN!!!

Good luck in what you decide. Take everybody's advice here because they're full of knowledge... except for me because I've got 'Johnny Bravo fever'!!!!

ps. that atavar is cool!!

Skip the angel and tang. Both will become too big and will pick on the smaller fish.
The manderin is a little questionable. They are very shy and docile. 0X

Back
Top Bottom